LTSpice - How to add new Diode

PsySc0rpi0n

Joined Mar 4, 2014
Ok, let me kinda study your english because i'm struggling to keep up with those technical terms. I'm sorry, i'm not english as you probably already realised!

PsySc0rpi0n

Joined Mar 4, 2014
Ok, everything's going smooth so far...

I'm already in the next exercise. But i need some help regarding the LTSpice itself.

Can i have 2 plot Windows with diferente data for the same schematic?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Ok, everything's going smooth so far...

I'm already in the next exercise. But i need some help regarding the LTSpice itself.

Can i have 2 plot Windows with diferente data for the same schematic?
Thats good news. :)

Yes you can have a number of plot windows open.

Run the sim.
Right click on the Plot window, a drop down menu will appear.
Select 'Add Plot Pane'

To move a Plot trace from window to another, place your cursor on the Data Label, just above the plot trace, keep the left mouse key down and drag the label to another plot window/pane.

OK.?
E

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Great...

Thanks.

What kind of Simulation Command should i use to be able to see the curve of a 6.2V zener diode???
Have you tried using your first circuit and replacing the 1N4001 with a 6.2V Zener diode.?

Increase the Vsource to 10Vppk and reverse bias the Zener.

Post your circuit.
E

PsySc0rpi0n

Joined Mar 4, 2014
Thanks for replying... You're being a great help to me... I'm just starting to learn the basics. It's the very first time I'm dealing with this type of stuff (electronic stuff)...

The exercise asks that we plot the zener diode caracteristc curve with direct polarization and inverse polarization. So i need to do both.

I know when it is deirectly polarized, it behaves just like 1N4001, but it is diferente when in inverse polarization!

So, let me try!

PsySc0rpi0n

Joined Mar 4, 2014
Hello again...

I'm now working on some other questions. I'm testing 1N4148, a germanium diode, a 3.9V zener diode and a 9.1V zener diode and last, 2 leds...

What is the difference between 1N4001 and 1N4148???

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
What is the difference between 1N4001 and 1N4148??? [/QUOTE

]A 1N4001 would be classed as a rectifier, capable of passing an average current of 1 Amp.

A 1N4148 would classed as a small signal diode, average current about 300mA.

All the details are in the devices datasheets.

E

PsySc0rpi0n

Joined Mar 4, 2014
Thanks for replying...

Things might be jsut getting more exciting now but also more complex...

I'm trying to analyse a full wave rectifier.

But I don't know if the plot is correct because I can't understand why the Vin doesn't go up to 6V and down to -6V and also why between 10 and 20ms the Vin is ≈ -0.7V.

Attachments

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Thanks for replying...

Things might be jsut getting more exciting now but also more complex...

I'm trying to analyse a full wave rectifier.

But I don't know if the plot is correct because I can't understand why the Vin doesn't go up to 6V and down to -6V and also why between 10 and 20ms the Vin is ≈ -0.7V.
hi,
You are measuring Vin with reference to the Common 0V symbol, so you will get a misleading reading.

Ref the -0.7V, remember the tests you did with the 1N4001.? The forward diode voltage drop.??

E

EDIT:
Look at this image, modify your asc file

EDIT2:
2nd image added for reference

Attachments

Last edited:

PsySc0rpi0n

Joined Mar 4, 2014
Ok... Looks better now the Vin curve...

But this is only half cycle, correct? Can we observe the entire wave at the same plot Or do we have to simulate 2 different schematics to view the other half-cycle?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Ok... Looks better now the Vin curve...

But this is only half cycle, correct? Can we observe the entire wave at the same plot Or do we have to simulate 2 different schematics to view the other half-cycle?
RUN the sim!!
Place the cursor on the Vin on the circuit, a red probe will appear,,keep the mouse left key pressed down, now slide the cursor down to the COMMON symbol [ near the 10meg] a second 'probe' will appear, this will plot the full input sine wave when you release the mouse key.

Try it. let me know.

PsySc0rpi0n

Joined Mar 4, 2014
Ok, great!

Can you explain me a bit better the common symbol, the ground and the 10MEG resistor?

The schematic I have from my tutor has the ground next to the resistor. Why it doesn't work like that and or/why do he has the ground next to resistor!

Thank you

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
This is a clip from the LTS help.

The 10meg is not always required, some circuits expect a 'path' from the COM part of the circuit to the Ground/Commonsymbol, I always add a 10meg.

Look at this image for an explanation of the COM.

Did you manage to do a full sine wave simulation plot as I explained it.?

E

Attachments

PsySc0rpi0n

Joined Mar 4, 2014
Yes i have... And thank you for the rest of the explanation...

I still don't fully understand it but i get an idea. I'm completelly new to electronics and LTSpice, so i tend to get conffused yet with some concepts we need to know to understand some basic things.

I'm going to perform now some simulations for half and full wave rectifiers and bridge rectifiers with middle common point... I don't know how to say it correctly in english...

I'll then upload here my results.

PsySc0rpi0n

Joined Mar 4, 2014
How do i change the nodes names so that i can use like Vs instead of V(n001) for the entry point???

I don't want to see all those n001, n002, and so on in the plot window because i'll get to a point that i don't know where is that line from!

PsySc0rpi0n

Joined Mar 4, 2014
One more question:

I know i can use the cursors 1 & 2 to compare 2 values. But How can i see the defference (subtraction operation) between cursor 1 and cursor 2 when they are in different curves in the plot?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
How do i change the nodes names so that i can use like Vs instead of V(n001) for the entry point???

I don't want to see all those n001, n002, and so on in the plot window because i'll get to a point that i don't know where is that line from!
hi,
To name Nodes.

Press keyboard F4, a small window will appear, type in the Node name you want.

If you want to be more exact , left click the 'What Type' on that small window,, choose the Node as an Input or Output type [ Its not essential that you do this, but on a big circuit the Node symbol will be more helpful]

Use F7 key to move the Mode name around the circuit.

E