How do I simulate a p-n diode using NMOS, PMOS or CMOS in LTSpice?

lp203

Joined Dec 16, 2022
I googled and kept running into circuits that have a diode between the Drain and Source. Isn't there a way to simulate an ordinary diode without using any diode?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Tell us what you are trying to accomplish.

Are you trying to use a MOSFET as an active rectifier? These are normally used to overcome the limitations of a junction diode. You would not want it to simulate a junction diode for that purpose.

lp203

Joined Dec 16, 2022
Tell us what you are trying to accomplish.

Are you trying to use a MOSFET as an active rectifier? These are normally used to overcome the limitations of a junction diode. You would not want it to simulate a junction diode for that purpose.
My lab instructor told me to design a diode using MOSFET and I wasn't given anything specific to work with. Really sorry for that

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Did he say “diode” or “rectifier?”. The implications are quite different. On the other hand, he might have been imprecise in his language. Do you understand the difference? Can you ask for clarification?

lp203

Joined Dec 16, 2022
Did he say “diode” or “rectifier?”. The implications are quite different. On the other hand, he might have been imprecise in his language. Do you understand the difference? Can you ask for clarification?
It was definitely a diode, To simulate the characteristics of an ordinary diode

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Okay, a much harder problem. You are not likely to find a circuit for that, because no one would do that.

What are the characteristics of a PN diode as you understand it?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Or perhaps it is a trick question, and all he wants is for you to tie the gate to the source. Your MOSFET now acts like an ordinary diode.

lp203

Joined Dec 16, 2022
Okay, a much harder problem. You are not likely to find a circuit for that, because no one would do that.

What are the characteristics of a PN diode as you understand it?
In forward bias current increases exponentially with voltage.
In reverse bias current produces negligible change in voltage till it reaches breakdown voltage and then there is a steep decrease.

lp203

Joined Dec 16, 2022
Or perhaps it is a trick question, and all he wants is for you to tie the gate to the source. Your MOSFET now acts like an ordinary diode.
I suppose that lab's difficulty would require you do to something like that. That makes sense. I'll try that

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Isn't there a way to simulate an ordinary diode without using any diode?
You need a diode, even if it's a parasitic diode.

Since this is school work, you should post the complete text for the problem. I'll flag your post to be moved to Homework Help.

lp203

Joined Dec 16, 2022
You need a diode, even if it's a parasitic diode.

Since this is school work, you should post the complete text for the problem. I'll flag your post to be moved to Homework Help.
Thank you.
Fair enough. I'll take care of the forum next time