LTSpice - How to add new Diode

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
You use the EXP like any other input source eg: sin PWL etc.

Set the parameters of the EXP and use it as an input to a circuit.

You set tau rise and fall times

PsySc0rpi0n

Joined Mar 4, 2014
Sir ericgibbs, I'll start a new thread as this one is getting too long and with a lot of different subjects... I'll try to stick to one subject until I fully understand it in a new thread!

hi Pysi',

The attached txt file is my copy of the standard.dio [ change the .txt back to .dio] , its got the 1N400x series diode models and many others.

Make a backup copy of your existing standard.dio , then move the file I have attached to the LTS/Lib/Cmp Folder.

E
Hey Eric, I opened up the ...lib\cmp\standard.dio file in TextEdit, a Mac application basically equivalent to Windows' NotePad. I then added the information straight from your standard.txt file upload. I saved as a .dio and restarted LTSpice but unfortunately I am still not seeing the 1n4001 diode I need. I also tried copy and pasting your entire .txt file but to no avail... Any idea what I may be doing wrong? Thanks

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi 581,
The 1N400x diode series is part of the LTS downloaded .dio files.
Could you post a copy of your 'original' standard.dio file.?

E

EDIT:
Try this asc file.

Attachments

Last edited:
hi 581,
The 1N400x diode series is part of the LTS downloaded .dio files.
Could you post a copy of your 'original' standard.dio file.?

E

EDIT:
Try this asc file.
Thanks for the response, based on your .asc file it seems that I could directly adjust the diode parameters in the sim by using the directive ".model (component name) (specifications)" in the actual simulator? Which bypasses uploading it into the library?

I'm going to give that a shot, in the mean time I uploaded my original standard.dio file with the 1n4001 info I added, which unfortunately is not registering in LTSpice when I try and find it in the sim. Thanks for responding to me on this old thread, I really appreciate it!

Attachments

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi 581,
That standard.dio you posted is out of date.

Rename this attachment standard.txt to standard.dio.
Replace the standard.dio in the LTS/Lib/cmp folder with this attachment.

It is advisable to make a Copy of your original standard.dio, just in case.

E

Attachments

hi 581,

E
I uploaded the .txt file and renamed it as a .dio file, then I restarted LTSpice and then opened my schematic. I right clicked my diode to try and change 1n914 to 1n4001 but it isn't on the list of diodes. I'm using LTSpice on a Mac, not sure if that makes a big difference.

Attachments

hi 581,

E
Although using the other method gave some desirable results. Attached are pictures, thank you again.

Attachments

Lars Englund

Joined Dec 31, 2016
hi 581,

E
Hi, I'm having the same problem with changes in standard.dio not showing up in LTspice. I have downloaded your standard.dio but none of the 1n400* diodes are showing up in LTspice. I've restarted LTspice and the computer..

Screenshot: http://pasteboard.co/B7V6fkLxz.png
(I've edited 1n4007 to match the case of other lines in a desperate attempt to make it work)

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Lars,
It appears that the Mac when using LTS is using a different 'lib/cmp' folder.??
Is it possible you could post an image of the LTC folder Tree from the hard drive.
Also look thru this video to check if your LTC installation is correct for the MAC OS.

As I do not use the MAC OS, perhaps another member may offer to help.

E

Lars Englund

Joined Dec 31, 2016
hi Lars,
It appears that the Mac when using LTS is using a different 'lib/cmp' folder.??
Is it possible you could post an image of the LTC folder Tree from the hard drive.
Also look thru this video to check if your LTC installation is correct for the MAC OS.

As I do not use the MAC OS, perhaps another member may offer to help.

E
Hi, I'm using Windows 10. The LTC directory is visible in the title of the texteditor in the screenshot in my post.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
I have re-looked at your screen-shot, I see what you are saying about the LTS directory and Folders.

At this time I do not have a solution, I will keep looking, will let you know if I find anything useful.

E

EDIT:
Been trawling thru the web, looking for a solution.
When using Win10 do you need the admin permissions to modify and replace folders.?

I use XP Pro on this PC.

Last edited:

Lars Englund

Joined Dec 31, 2016
hi,
I have re-looked at your screen-shot, I see what you are saying about the LTS directory and Folders.

At this time I do not have a solution, I will keep looking, will let you know if I find anything useful.

E

EDIT:
Been trawling thru the web, looking for a solution.
When using Win10 do you need the admin permissions to modify and replace folders.?

I use XP Pro on this PC.
Indeed you do, I have granted permission to everyone to read and write to the cmp folder though.
I've tried removing the standard.dio file and then LTspice kindof hangs at startup so I know it's reading the file..

If I do this "Try copying that .model statement from standard.dio, and paste it into a SPICE directive box (click the .op on the far right of the menu) in LTSpice; place that directive anywhere in the schematic out of the way." it works... but that's a pain to have to do every time.

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Which version of LTS are you using? Under Win10, LTspiceXV11 installs the model libraries in two places. One is the User folder path of your choice, the other is in the Documents path. Only the Documents path is actually used in simulations, so any modified/added model needs to be there if you want it to show up when selecting a component for a schematic.

Lars Englund

Joined Dec 31, 2016
Which version of LTS are you using? Under Win10, LTspiceXV11 installs the model libraries in two places. One is the User folder path of your choice, the other is in the Documents path. Only the Documents path is actually used in simulations, so any modified/added model needs to be there if you want it to show up when selecting a component for a schematic.
This was the solution! I did not know about the folders created under Documents but when the new diodes where added there they showed up correctly in LTspice. Thanks!

Go to the LTC folder (possibly in the Program Files (x86) folder) and then to LTC\LTspiceIV\lib\cmp.

Make a backup copy of "standard.dio" in case you goof. (You can label it standarddio.bu for example).

Open "standard.dio" in wordpad (not Word). Add in your 1N4001 model information to that file.

Save the file as a standard text file.

Now when you close and reopen LTspice, D1N4001 should be there when you open the diode selection box for any diode in your schematic.
Help me! I copied the text and pasted it in the file below the last line using gedit, but when i open ltspice i dont find any IN4001 diode