LTSpice diode list does not update

irfancaglayan

Joined Nov 14, 2022
I have this lab homework in which I have to simulate a basic circuit using 1N4007 type diode. I have edited the standard.dio file as I should but the "Pick Diode" list in LTSpice does not update. 1N4007 does not show up. I am adding screenshots of the file directory and the line that I embedded the new diode in the file. What am I missing?

Attachments

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi irfan,
Welcome to AAC.
When you make a change to the standard components list, close down LTspice and then restart.

Try that and let me know how it goes.
E
BTW: I have the full range of 1N400x models if you are interested.

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Have you quit and restarted LTSpice?

Is the file you are editing actually the file that LTSpice is using?

One quick way to tell is to just change the name of the first diode in the file and see if that changes the name in the part selection tool (after quitting and relaunching LTSpice). If it doesn't, then you are editing the wrong file. If it does, then the problem is likely due to an error in the new diode model.

irfancaglayan

Joined Nov 14, 2022
hi irfan,
Welcome to AAC.
When you make a change to the standard components list, close down LTspice and then restart.

Try that and let me know how it goes.
E
BTW: I have the full range of 1N400x models if you are interested.
hey, thanks!
i have actually looked up the problem in different forums and came across this file. i changed the name of it to standard.dio and switched it with the previous file yet nothing seemed to change. i have restarted ltspice many times but that did not work either. i cannot really pinpoint where it goes wrong.

irfancaglayan

Joined Nov 14, 2022
Have you quit and restarted LTSpice?

Is the file you are editing actually the file that LTSpice is using?

One quick way to tell is to just change the name of the first diode in the file and see if that changes the name in the part selection tool (after quitting and relaunching LTSpice). If it doesn't, then you are editing the wrong file. If it does, then the problem is likely due to an error in the new diode model.
i suppose so. in the screenshots you can see that i am making the changes in the Program Files folder which is where i installed ltspice at. i am modifying the standard.dio file to see differences but it doesn't seem to work. i have restarted the appication many times. the thing is, i also thing there might be something wrong about ltspice reading the diode file because even when i replaced the standard.dio with the file in ericgibbs' attachment, it still kept showing the list of the previous file which i put on the desktop. i have no idea why the list does not update.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi irafn,
Post your standard dio file [ change the extension to .txt] so it will upload. I will try it.
E

Added: is your file path like mine.?
ScreenHunter 25.gif

irfancaglayan

Joined Nov 14, 2022
hi irafn,
Post your standard dio file [ change the extension to .txt] so it will upload. I will try it.
E

Added: is your file path like mine.?
View attachment 280650
it worked! thank you! i have been trying to edit the file within C:\Program Files\LTC\LTspiceXVII\lib\cmp since that was the instruction, but in your screenshot you are editing the one within Documents. i have modified the file in Documents as well and now it is reading it properly. thanks a lot, again!

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
i have modified the file in Documents as well and now it is reading it properly.
As it should. When LTspice is installed in a location of your choice it also creates a shadow copy in your Documents. When running a sim, it looks for files, by default, only in the Documents path.

irfancaglayan

Joined Nov 14, 2022
As it should. When LTspice is installed in a location of your choice it also creates a shadow copy in your Documents. When running a sim, it looks for files, by default, only in the Documents path.
i did not know that initially since it was my first time using this type of a simulator ever. thanks for the info!