Looking for some advice on getting started with PCB repairs (excuse the noobishness!)

andy2626

Joined Jul 22, 2020
Hi all I hope you are well and keeping some degree of sanity during the pandemic!

I run a little business repairing and servicing treadmills which covers all aspects of getting hem back on track

The majority of the repairs centre around the PCB's which seem to be relatively simple but break regally

I use a few different places to repair the PCB's but they're increasingly getting busier and the delay is getting quite substantial

As I am home a lot at the moment I thought it would be a good opportunity to learn how to fix the boards

I have a fair bit of kit and am a bit of a handy Andy so I have some understanding of how they work but I would really like to understand them and repair them myself.

Is there any good reading material people would recommend or any material online that is useful?

Also is there any essential kit people would recommend other than the obvious soldering iron etc.

One last thing I am also looking at setting up a bit of a test rig for testing the DC motors with a potentiometer so I can run up the motors to see if they are working or not

Does anyone know of a good setup I can use?

Many thanks in advance

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
repair them myself
What does your definition of "repair" involve? Troubleshooting? Component R&R? Repairing board damage?
One last thing I am also looking at setting up a bit of a test rig for testing the DC motors with a potentiometer so I can run up the motors to see if they are working or not
I assume you don't mean trying to use a pot to limit voltage. I don't do much with motors, but it seems to me that you'd always operate them at their nominal voltage and use PWM to control on time.