LM723 bipolar solution heat problem

Delian Diver

Joined Jul 11, 2017
I'm trying to clone a early 80s sound device which uses several supply voltages: +/-18V, +/-14.5V and +/-4V
The schematics of regulated +/-14.5V using LM723 is attached. I get -14.5V from emitter but the temperature of the TL081 and 2N3906 is too high. I have killed one 2N3906 letting the circuit working for 4 minutes. The original schematics is also attached, the only difference that it uses one of four opAmp of TL084 instead of my implementation with one TL081. Any help on this temperature issue is appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Delian Diver

Joined Jul 11, 2017
There is no load at all for now... and I get 68°C on the surface of TL081. I even try to change the TL081 from TI to ST and other...

Delian Diver

Joined Jul 11, 2017
The load of -14.5V is detached from the board so I completely sure that there is no load for now.
But I can cut the 2N3906 collector from PCB to check will the issue be eliminated. If so, what are the methods to find the reasons for high drain?
The daughter board that you may see on the picture attached is completely removed and all other -14.5V consumers are desoldered.

Attachments

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
eric - Q1 is a 3906 PNP.

Separate from that, Q1 is operating as an emitter follower, so depending on the circuit's operating point, a base resistor is not mandatory. Here is a circuit variation that shows the negative output pass transistor and the output voltage divider in a more traditional arrangement:

ak

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
The -14.5V is Output voltage from the 2n3906, with a light load the components run cool, where is the-14,5V connected too.?

Woops thanks @AnalogKid.... ref the TS's drawing error...

Eric

Delian Diver

Joined Jul 11, 2017
eric - Q1 is a 3906 PNP.

Separate from that, Q1 is operating as an emitter follower, so depending on the circuit's operating point, a base resistor is not mandatory. Here is a circuit variation that shows the negative output pass transistor and the output voltage divider in a more traditional arrangement:

ak
Yep! I have this high current PSU working for 8 years for now. And I thought about rebuilding the part of the circuit. But the original schem is working fine. I want to find the source of high drain...

Attachments