Linear JFET Amplification/Audio Excellence

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
That puts them in use by Elvis and the bigger names like Buddy Holly, of the 50's. Their sound is distinctly pleasant, even with playback on today's bipolar amp. so as far as what I would GUESS, yes there was about 10 years of use here in the States. I don't really have any idea about Great Brittain, but because of technological alliances between countries
The Beatles, The Shadows, The Kinks, The Who all used valve amplification: Vox, Marshall, HiWatt etc.
There were a few attempts at JFET power amplification, but the need to have the bias fully operational before power is applied in order to prevent it blowing up at switch-on is a real disadvantage.
THere are now some pretty good Silicon Carbide power JFETs, in case you feel like inventing a JFET power amplifier. At £5 each they are comparable to the Hitachi-MOSFET copies.

PatrickMalarkey

Joined Oct 2, 2021
Nice.

You do know that we are talking about events in the 20th century, right? It wasn't all that long ago. And, people wrote stuff down. AND, some of those people lived into the 1980's, and could talk.

I can see many of your statements as coming from one of two places. A) you're a troll. b) you're lazy. There are dozens of sites dedicated to the histories of electronic devices, but any 6th grader knows how to spell "transistor" and use Wikipedia.

The development of the transistor and its later variants wasn't exactly a secret. In fact, it was in all the papers. And the Journal of the IEE (their name back then). And the Proceedings of the IEEE. And Electronics. And Popular Electronics. And Radio-Electronics. And Electronics Illustrated. And Wireless World (yes, they heard about it in Europe). I have some of the original issues, as do many of the regulars around here and on other forums.

You can read all about it here:

https://www.hobbymagazines.org/electronics/

https://archive.org/search.php?query=electronics+magazine+rack&and[]=mediatype:"collection"

https://worldradiohistory.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_transistor

ak
I think you need to get off it now AudioKid. I'm really not up for much more of anything. Read the last reply I wrote to you, wherein I told you I intended to pursue a different matter than a linear FET amp. Please find some other ass to get on, David

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
I was a kid in the 50ies and early 60ies and in those days the bands played AM radio sounds with tubes. Their 12" speakers had no tweeters but had a peak from 2kHz to 4kHz due to cone-breakup. I liked the very clear live sounds of classical music played without a distorted sound system in the concert hall.
When I attended university I made a vacuum tubes Heathkit amplifier and got hand-me-down Shure V-15 record player cartridges each year from my wealthy friend.
Then FM stereo was invented so I made Eico vacuum tube kits for the tuner then later for the stereo adapter.
I designed and made my own record player preamp but it oscillated at a high frequency.
I designed and made my own transistor power amplifiers that worked well.

I gave up with classical music when I heard them all too many times. My local concert hall installed a PRO sound system that sounded awful. Rock music became full of clipping distortion. FM radio stations installed audio compression that sounded very bad.

My first job was working on the production line at Philips making Chrysler car radios, then I was quickly promoted into engineering the car radios. I saw their first LED and cassette tape recorder/player that I souped up for it to become almost hifi.
I modified my Philips color TV so it played Pay Per View for free.
I made an SQ Quadraphonic full logic decoder with Motorola ICs.

The arteries feeding my heart got clogged with cholesterol causing a heart attack when I was 64 years old and I watched the doctor putting 2 stents in. My hearing rolled off all high frequencies in my late 60ies when I got hearing aids to make my hearing normal again.
The hearing aids have selectable very nice compression and noise reduction.

After being completely blinded with cataracts in my eyes I got the lenses inside them replaced with synthetic lenses that make my eyesight better than when I was young.

The Pfizer Covid-19 vaccines gave me continuous low level 15kHz to 20kHz hiss in my hearing but it does not bother me.

Sorry for the rant but today is Sunday and the Formula One car race on TV is postponed.

PatrickMalarkey

Joined Oct 2, 2021
I was a kid in the 50ies and early 60ies and in those days the bands played AM radio sounds with tubes. Their 12" speakers had no tweeters but had a peak from 2kHz to 4kHz due to cone-breakup. I liked the very clear live sounds of classical music played without a distorted sound system in the concert hall.
When I attended university I made a vacuum tubes Heathkit amplifier and got hand-me-down Shure V-15 record player cartridges each year from my wealthy friend.
Then FM stereo was invented so I made Eico vacuum tube kits for the tuner then later for the stereo adapter.
I designed and made my own record player preamp but it oscillated at a high frequency.
I designed and made my own transistor power amplifiers that worked well.

I gave up with classical music when I heard them all too many times. My local concert hall installed a PRO sound system that sounded awful. Rock music became full of clipping distortion. FM radio stations installed audio compression that sounded very bad.

My first job was working on the production line at Philips making Chrysler car radios, then I was quickly promoted into engineering the car radios. I saw their first LED and cassette tape recorder/player that I souped up for it to become almost hifi.
I modified my Philips color TV so it played Pay Per View for free.
I made an SQ Quadraphonic full logic decoder with Motorola ICs.

The arteries feeding my heart got clogged with cholesterol causing a heart attack when I was 64 years old and I watched the doctor putting 2 stents in. My hearing rolled off all high frequencies in my late 60ies when I got hearing aids to make my hearing normal again.
The hearing aids have selectable very nice compression and noise reduction.

After being completely blinded with cataracts in my eyes I got the lenses inside them replaced with synthetic lenses that make my eyesight better than when I was young.

The Pfizer Covid-19 vaccines gave me continuous low level 15kHz to 20kHz hiss in my hearing but it does not bother me.

Sorry for the rant but today is Sunday and the Formula One car race on TV is postponed.
AudioGuru, I can appreciate all you've been through, my story is similar. Can I ask if you listen to digital internet music these days? There's a network receiver available from AudioAdvice.com for a substantially reduced price of $299.99, it started priced at about $500 earlier this year, but with all the shortages it's likely to be mid-Jan. before it ships. It uses an Android phone as the remote control by way of an app, and seems like a way to chose your preferences of just about all the music ever recorded. Yep, I ordered one hoping it lives up to all the hype. Model: Onkyo Tx 8140, I've yet to look it up on Google search for a spec.s sheet, but I'd bet it's well rated, maybe with the exception of Japanese made high-pitched sound quality. Yeah, they're just about all heavy on treble and a little "thin" on bass. But overall Jap made have a liveable quality sound. I don't know why I didn't google-up a spec sheet, usually included is a good review. Well Happy Holidays AudioGuru and if you're stuck with a home theater sound system you might buy a hook up cable for connecting a mobile phone output jack to your receivers CD inputs (RCA fitting). Those cables are available on eBay for about $8.00, and the digital to analog converters (in my phone at least), aren't such bad sound.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
I use the computer player program called Spotify to play most digital internet music and a Google Chromecast device to transfer You Tube videos to my 4K TV. The digital cables are ordinary HDMI.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
The digital cables are ordinary HDMI.
What? You don’t use low oxygen gold plated 10AWG Monster HDMI cable? How can you stand the picture and sound without the added presence and airy quality you get with the above cable? I’ll bet your ONE bits range from 0.86 to 1.17. Horrible!

Bob

PatrickMalarkey

Joined Oct 2, 2021
There's a reason it's called a "motor start capacitor".

That's just power factor correction. If the power factor is corrected closer to unity, the secondary current reduces. This reduces the heating in the transformer allowing the use of a smaller transformer. The power companies prefer that the power factor is corrected at source (i.e.. where the low power factor load is operating) because that reduces current in their cables.
Resonance it to be avoided as it would lead to increases in supply voltages. There is always enough resistive load to keep the resonance damped.

PatrickMalarkey

Joined Oct 2, 2021
There's a reason it's called a "motor start capacitor".

That's just power factor correction. If the power factor is corrected closer to unity, the secondary current reduces. This reduces the heating in the transformer allowing the use of a smaller transformer. The power companies prefer that the power factor is corrected at source (i.e.. where the low power factor load is operating) because that reduces current in their cables.
Resonance it to be avoided as it would lead to increases in supply voltages. There is always enough resistive load to keep the resonance damped.
Yes it's power factor correction, but by essentially setting-up Resonance, and the amount of energy conserved "is not a small amount of" energy. I'm quoting a senior power company engineer in Seattle, Washington for my home electrical service. By the way, he called me wanting to verify the author of the letter included with my bill. He and I knew what we were saying, but unfortunately a Texas based entity Enron, bought up Portland General Electrical, and Enron buried that proposal. In a couple years Enron had been accused of "cooking" their books leaving us PGE customers passing the hat to reimburse Enron share holders. Yes it is power factor correction to a near unity value, but there's much more energy involved even if the power factor must be kept withing 3% by the Bonneville Power Administration. BPA are a hydroelectric generator along the Columbia River, on the northern border of Oregon USA. Ian this is a critical matter for all of us, and I'll spare you the justification for that, but try to research Shunt L/C Resonance, not the extremely dangerous reactance voltages of series L/C Resonance.

PatrickMalarkey

Joined Oct 2, 2021
Yes it's power factor correction, but by essentially setting-up Resonance, and the amount of energy conserved "is not a small amount of" energy. I'm quoting a senior power company engineer in Seattle, Washington for my home electrical service. By the way, he called me wanting to verify the author of the letter included with my bill. He and I knew what we were saying, but unfortunately a Texas based entity Enron, bought up Portland General Electrical, and Enron buried that proposal. In a couple years Enron had been accused of "cooking" their books leaving us PGE customers passing the hat to reimburse Enron share holders. Yes it is power factor correction to a near unity value, but there's much more energy involved even if the power factor must be kept withing 3% by the Bonneville Power Administration. BPA are a hydroelectric generator along the Columbia River, on the northern border of Oregon USA. Ian this is a critical matter for all of us, and I'll spare you the justification for that, but try to research Shunt L/C Resonance, not the extremely dangerous reactance voltages of series L/C Resonance.

PatrickMalarkey

Joined Oct 2, 2021
And Ion the shunt L/C resonance is to be applied to the primary side of substation stepdown transformers, not secondaries. I don't know if I made myself understood about that, it's already being done as justified on the secondary sides.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Yes it's power factor correction, but by essentially setting-up Resonance, and the amount of energy conserved "is not a small amount of" energy
Power factor correction does not use "Resonance", it merely corrects for the reactive component of the line power so that the current from that does not cause resistive losses in the power line to the generator.
Where did you get this information about LC resonance used in power line transformers?
I'd like to see that quote from the " senior power company engineer in Seattle, Washington".
What "proposal" did Enron bury.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Power factor correction does not use "Resonance", it merely corrects for the reactive component of the line power so that the current from that does not cause resistive losses in the power line to the generator.
Where did you get this information about LC resonance used in power line transformers?
I'd like to see that quote from the " senior power company engineer in Seattle, Washington".
What "proposal" did Enron bury.
It would be a bit scary if the electricity grid was a tuned circuit. Whenever it was lightly loaded the voltage would keep rising until the insulators flashed over. Luckily, I think that there is enough resistive load to keep the Q to a very low value!
Though it if weren't for the resistive load they grid would be pretty useless - only the resistive part of it actually produces any work.