limit the range of PIR sensor

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
This does not compute-

PIR sensor work by detecting the IR radiation (light) from hot objects.
you cannot "adjust" the range of your vision, can you? Either you see nothing, or all the way to the horizon.
All you can do is block the radiation from reaching the sensor, There is no logical way to adjust the distance of sensing besides adjusting the geometry of the sensing angle of view.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Most pir sensors use op amps to boost the signal level, if you can look inside it and post pictures, maybe get better answers,

Or mask the sensor at the sides

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi guys

Is there a way to limit the range of a PIR sensor to about 2 meters? Thanks.
The PIR sensors normally have parabolic mirrors or Fresnel lenses that have essentially an infinite focus (which turns out to be about 30 - 50 feet.). You will need to either get a PIR with different focal length or experiment with the threshold level of the amplifier within the unit. Note that they usually have some type of sample-and-hold amp or other filter as well to prolong the response. No need to fool with those, just don't get distracted by them when you look for the threshold voltage divider.

Also, there are often multiple little semsors with multiple mirrors on a wide-angle sensor. They are usually wired so activation of one trips the overall sensor. Also, those multiple semsors could be wired as difference amps so temp change doesn't cause a signal.

What is your end goal? Really range or threshold?

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Hi sorry for the late reply,

Here are what I tried:
cover the PIR sensor with transparent plastic with different color (green ,red, yellow, orange, white), it can reduce the range of my PIR sensor, but also make it very un-reliable.
I have also tried cover the sensor with combination of different color, and/or multiple layers, same result.
I have also masked the sensor at the side, it make the sensing area narrower, but not reducing range.

At the end, I found a sensor with the shorter range I need, it should do what I want but I have not received the sensor and tested yet.

I am convinced that the range has something to do with the focal length of the len as GopherT suggested.

Thank you all for all your inputs.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I am convinced that the range has something to do with the focal length of the lens
PIR 'lenses' in my experience don't have a focal length: they are simply window facets angled to direct radiation from various angles on to the sensor. But then, my PIR experience is somewhat limited :).

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
PIR 'lenses' in my experience don't have a focal length: they are simply window facets angled to direct radiation from various angles on to the sensor. But then, my PIR experience is somewhat limited :).
It depends on whether the type you have uses lenses or mirrors. Some have parabolic mirrors to set the focal length, some use the plastic to make a lens of a given focal length (or "infinite" focal length).

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
The lenses are key- try removing the lens and see what happens- no workie any more.

The lens acts to create alternating 'beams' of sensitivity, such that objects moving in front pass through these regions creating an AC output that gets detected and counted by the discriminator. The PIR sensor has terrible baseline drift, the lens effectively moves the signal up from DC so it can be processed as an AC signal. The range is influenced by the shape of these 'beams', too narrow and they cannot detect close objects, too wide and far objects are not detected.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
@bug13
Here is the Panasonic option on digikey...
2 meter max range. (second column below)

View attachment 95970

=======================

Digikey has several others. You can select the range you want.
==============================

View attachment 95971

========================================

Or you can get a complete unit with 2 m range.

http://dev1.auroralighting.com/Produkt/Innenbeleuchtung/Schrankbeleuchtung/Schrankbeleuchtung-Zubehor/Plastic-Fixed-120°-2m-range-PIR-Detector-Lighting-Control.aspx
The Panasonic one is the exactly the same one I am getting, but the data sheet says depending on the temperature different between the object and environment, it may seen object beyond 2m.

Hopefully it not too much beyond 2m, anyway, its on it's way, I should get it today or tomorrow...

Thanks again.

bhanusuraj

Joined Mar 25, 2020
Hi guys

Is there a way to limit the range of a PIR sensor to about 2 meters? Thanks.
hey if you want to work for small distances like 4cm-30cm, etc, I don't think PIR may help you. so it would be better to change your sensor to a SHARP distance measuring units like sharp GP2Y0D810Z0F, etc.
- this a youtube link about that device.
if you still wanted to work on PIR, I learned an approach from some web site I haven't tried it my self.
I have attached a file u can check it outScreenshot 2020-03-25 at 9.52.15 PM.png