Length Measuring Mechanism

fahadatnet

Joined Dec 22, 2004
Hi

I have to built a bot which can measure the length of a path,which will be a white line path.
The problem is that how to measure the path accurately/precisely Coz the path may be circular or any other shape so the line follower bot will not trace the exact path which will result in an error.

So please tell me two things
1. some mechanism to measure the length of the path &
2. an algorithm which will minimize the errors(Extra length measurement).

Eagerly waiting for reply

THANKS

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
Originally posted by fahadatnet@Nov 26 2005, 05:37 AM
Hi

I have to built a bot which can measure the length of a path,which will be a white line path.
The problem is that how to measure the path accurately/precisely Coz the path may be circular or any other shape so the line follower bot will not trace the exact path which will result in an error.

So please tell me two things
1. some mechanism to measure the length of the path &
2. an algorithm which will minimize the errors(Extra length measurement).

Eagerly waiting for reply

THANKS
[post=11945]Quoted post[/post]​
hi,

"I have to built a bot" what's a bot?

have you done a google search on this?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I think by bot he means robot.

It's a carry over from chat rooms where robots are used to get you to go to some subscription site.

But, I could be wrong.

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
hi

i will presume that you will be using the wheel of the robot to do the measuring. then just place a magnet on the wheel rim to trigger a reed switch. everytime the magnet passes the reed switch that would constitute your 1 revolution. the output connected to an up/down counter logic device mand the result displayed on a 7 segment LED display. to make things easy for the counting you have to choose a wheel that has 1 revolution of 1 inch distance. that way whatever is displayed is now you actual distance measured.

if you can't have that kind of wheel, then other devices has to be employed to convert the count into actual distance.

moz