LEDs to Mains

NMSquirrel

Joined Jan 11, 2015
Hello, I am hobbiest, build scale models (scifi, mostly trek) see my profile for a readers digest of who I am.

Question on restricted topics, what does 'LEDs to mains' mean?

I ask cause LED's are my vehicle for models, do not plan on adding sound to any (of course that would change "IF" ppl took an interest in buying my models, the ADHD causes probs with names and numbers so I can easily confuse myself, I tend to either miss the obvious or make it more complex than I need to, case in point, I was having probs figuring out how to tie all my led flasher boards together, when I did they didn't work right, spent too much time trying to find a circuit to distribute the power properly, when someone showed me my BK 1611 power supply was not working properly (is limiting current) still waiting on advice on how to fix it, I have schematic..

I am a communicator, so please do not missread, I tend to argue, but that does not mean I will not follow advice/listen, I tend to get ahead of myself, (the power supply thing, I had argued with him, and still followed his advice, ie testing with wall wart, I did acknowledge and thank him for his advice)

is facebook link gonna be working soon?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It means you do not connect an LED to AC voltage out of the wall socket without a transformer or a wall wart. We try hard not to have beginners kill innocent people here. Some of the requests we get are pretty out there, like the kid wanting to connect a doorbell button to 220VAC for a yuck.

Commercial manufacturers do this routinely, but they encapsulate their products and are responsible for the safety of such.

I like helping people with projects, but it has to be in a thread. I've even been known to design special application for folk, things like LED light chasers and such. Just send me a PM with the thread you want help on.

LEDs, 555s, Flashers, and Light Chasers

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

With the "leds to mains" we do say that we do not want leds connected to the mains voltage (120 Volts for the USA and 230 Volts for europe) directly.
This is not safe to do. we always want to have a means of isolation in our ciruits.
This can be done with a transformer or a wallwart / adapter.

Bertus

NMSquirrel

Joined Jan 11, 2015
that's funny, cause when I was 17 I had alligator clips on the end of a 110 cord, and a stereo I had messed up, so I experimented with connecting the 110 to various parts to see what would happen..the capacitors were fun.. but I don't think t would kill anyone, maybe at best it would put an eye out.. or minor burns.. and when younger I used paper clip to see what would happen if I stuck it in both plugs at same time.. burnt finger, grounded for a week, and spanked..(funny it did not pop the breaker)
and have already posted my build in the projects forum.. working on trying to get the ten in for the flea market..

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Nope, just one to a customer. To qualify for a Darwin Award you must kill yourself or remove your ability to reproduce through an act of stupidity, thus removing yourself from the gene pool and improving the species.

It is a popular web site, full of dark humor. Google it.

NMSquirrel

Joined Jan 11, 2015
"remove your ability to reproduce through an act of stupidity"
too late..
Death by Star Trek Model, would be a rather interesting tell though..(Scotty, I think you gave it too much power!)

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Well, here ya' go.

ps, I liked the dog too. You could fence that one in with a piece of chalk! Now I better shut up before this thread turns into baby pictures. Besides, I'm obviously out numbered by cat lovers.

Attachments

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Well, here ya' go.

ps, I liked the dog too. You could fence that one in with a piece of chalk! Now I better shut up before this thread turns into baby pictures. Besides, I'm obviously out numbered by cat lovers.
That's not a dog. That's a hairy snack on four legs for him:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I understand. My neighbor has a Pomeranian. I call the dog, "lunch meat".

I also call police dogs, "an excuse to brutalize people by pretending you aren't responsible for your dogs' actions"...but that's probably too political for this site.