LEDs to Mains

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
So, how does it end with LED's connected to mains? Flipping out when the fuzz comes to find your filling out insurance papers stating your case that your responsible for the fire?

kv

Edit: Now that I think about it; it's time to call a cab?

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Brings back old memories; I remember you had to get that close because the screens back then were so small.

Plenty of times being told I made a better door than a window; and black and white images with shadowing figures seemed far scarier and was the only time your face wasn't imprinted on the screen. lol

kv

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
There are entombed capacitor supplies for 50 LEDs or so, its still better than to DIY these.

Actually I have kilograms of foil capacitors here, chained LEDs (still connected with metal strips from the factory), and I even have these small capacitor supply boxes.

I've become over excited by all these LEDs- currently I use a incandescent lamp, they are cheap quality recently so each bulb lasts a few weeks then blows the mains interrupter and makes a loud bang.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
There are entombed capacitor supplies for 50 LEDs or so, its still better than to DIY these.

Actually I have kilograms of foil capacitors here, chained LEDs (still connected with metal strips from the factory), and I even have these small capacitor supply boxes.

I've become over excited by all these LEDs- currently I use a incandescent lamp, they are cheap quality recently so each bulb lasts a few weeks then blows the mains interrupter and makes a loud bang.
My mother had a fixture above the kitchen table that she fitted with the long bulbs used in aquariums and above museum photos - she liked the look. Unfortunately, they are meant to be place horizontal while her lamp held them vertical. When the filament failed, they would arc brightly for a half second as they found a shorter path to ground and much higher current flowed through the now shortened filament. Needless to say, her dimmer would fail and she would complain. After and explanation, she agreed that they were the wrong bulbs and agreed to use standard bulbs. About a year later, I would get another call to change her dimmer (repeat about 10 more times).