Laser Diode Project. Help!

John TM

Joined Mar 9, 2015
I am trying to connect one hundred Laser diodes in parallel and need to know what is needed and how to build my circuit.

These are the questions I have:
Power Source Capacity?
Do I need any other electronic component? Regulator, capacitors, resistors, etc?
How should I build my electronic diagram?
What is the best way to solder all these cables?

These are the specs of the laser diodes and I am also attaching a picture of one of them so you can have an idea on how they look like.

100 Laser diode 650 nm
5 Volts DC
5 mW

Am sorry if I am asking for too much but really need to make this project happen so any help or feedback would be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your time

Attachments

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I am trying to connect one hundred Laser diodes in parallel and need to know what is needed and how to build my circuit.

These are the questions I have:
Power Source Capacity?
Do I need any other electronic component? Regulator, capacitors, resistors, etc?
How should I build my electronic diagram?
What is the best way to solder all these cables?

These are the specs of the laser diodes and I am also attaching a picture of one of them so you can have an idea on how they look like.

100 Laser diode 650 nm
5 Volts DC
5 mW

Am sorry if I am asking for too much but really need to make this project happen so any help or feedback would be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your time
Some projects just seem a little strange. Could you let us know what you are making with 100 laser diodes?

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
First obtain good protection goggles. Most chinese ones are crap.
The minimum current capability for the power supply should be 100 times the current consumption of a single laser module. The voltage should be the specified by the module.
The diagram is just parallel. The soldering can be to bare wire buses. No need for other components if the supply is adequate unless you plan fading/dimming. A PC power supply should work, if they truly work with 5V or 3.3 V.
And keep in mind you will be playing with half a watt total laser power. Merging beams and mirrors IS very dangerous to vision.

Edited - added : Make sure if that in the picture is a laser diode only or a laser module with current regulation built-in.
If is only a laser diode, 5V should let its smoke to escape.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Warning: This is the kind of, "dangerous" that gets shut down by the Moderators of this site.

I once got hit by one pass of a 5mw scanning laser. Fortunately, I was only blind for a minute or two.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Those leds work on 3v@ 25mA, so an 80 -100 ohms resistor in series with the diode will do, just put them all in parallel across the 5 v supply@ 3A min.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Those LEDs have a bit of circuit board attached. They might have a resistor included. Read the instructions or measure the results. If they smoke instantly, they don't have the resistor included.