Key Bridge collapses into Patapsco River in Baltimore

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
What a nightmare for those drivers. What are the odds of losing power and steering at the worse possible place. That poor bridge support didn't stand a chance.

Someone is already working on the plan to blow the steel trusses blocking the main channel and clear it out. There is a massive amount shipping being halted.

Last edited:

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
What a nightmare for those drivers. What are the odds of losing power and steering at the worse possible place. That poor bridge support didn't stand a chance.
Yep. A reporter was saying they need to investigate why that bridge didn’t hold up.

Nonsense! I calculate the ship had 2000 containers at 50000 lbs each, or 60000 tons of cargo, plus the weight if the ship. I’m too lazy to calculate the kinetic energy it had, but it certainly would rival a very large bomb.

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Yep. A reporter was saying they need to investigate why that bridge didn’t hold up.

Nonsense! I calculate the ship had 2000 containers at 50000 lbs each, or 60000 tons of cargo, plus the weight if the ship. I’m too lazy to calculate the kinetic energy it had, but it certainly would rival a very large bomb.
Yeah, that would be the end of it ... lay the blame on the bridge's engineering ... that's idiotic

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Darn it ... it's about time the International Bureau of Weights and Measures included "a few" in its definition of units.
More searching gave 1:30AM as the time of the crash and 8AM as the time of the collapse.

But, the article I referenced said the bridge collapsed in seconds.

EDIT: here's the NYT's coverage as of about 25 minutes ago.

Attachments

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The Francis Scott Key Bridge is a toll route. The ship's crew may have been able to notify authorities in time to stop traffic on to the bridge. Looking at the live video it would appear that indeed this had happened. News reports indicate that there were 8 maintenance workers on the bridge at the time. Two workers are safe but the safety of six is not yet known.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Going by the time codes top left in the video, it looks as though the last moving vehicle left the bridge about 40 secs before the collapse.

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
A couple of updates: They're saying that the Maryland Transportation Authority was able to stop traffic entering the bridge, so there was no moving traffic when it fell. The only casualties are the road crew workers.

There's a live video feed of the bridge on youtube (link below) but it only stores about 12 hours, so video of the crash is no longer available. The ship hit the pier and within seconds the bridge fell. It took about 10 seconds for it to fall completely. The twitter video above speeds it up a lot but the timestamp is still there. I don't know if the road crew was warned, but there was certainly no sign of their trucks trying to escape. It's possible they didn't believe the ship could take out the bridge so catastrophically.

Closer to where I live, the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal has 6 bridges over it. Every few years a ship hits one of the bridges with a mast or the like. That rarely does any significant damage. There's a railroad drawbridge that was damaged around 1972 when a tugboat hit it while it was down and a train was passing over it. In 1943 a cargo ship hit the drawbridge that was in Chesapeake City, knocking it down. It was replaced by an overhead span after WWII.

Cleanup should be fairly quick. The channel is only 50 feet deep. The rest is likely less than 30 feet. The Port Authority is probably already making phone calls to salvage companies. It's a very busy port and time is money.