Key Bridge collapses into Patapsco River in Baltimore

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
As for the Crimean bridge -- is this something new? I haven't seen any reporting about a new attack
Grmbl... Turns out the damn thing was an AI video simulation! I couldn't understand how it could be taking that kind of pounding and not show any visible signs of damage! Not only that but how they could linger over target as long as they were without interdiction and counterattack from Russian air forces. Can't find it now or I'd link it.

Local channels are full of reports of all the past local bridge vs ship disasters over the years at our ports as there have been several in our area with loss of life involved. All of which have ultimately resulted in serious money being spent on renovation and upgrading of bridge infrastructures. Taller and wider! Make em harder to hit even by a blind drunken sailor. Only problem is it gets pretty darn windy up there and cars and especially transfer trucks get blown around a pretty good bit in a bad storm.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Especially when the title of the clip was that the bridge was destroyed... It left me scratching my head which is why I went back and looked again and found the tiny note in the comments section. Not your typical MS Flight Simulator footage. Bridge destroyed to me means only the pilings sticking out of the water. Anyway, back on topic...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
announcement by the Corps of Engineers to have the main shipping channel reopened to a 35 foot draft by the end of April and a proposal to get cargo flowing into the port of Baltimore.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.npr.org/2024/04/05/1242887913/baltimore-bridge-collapse-port-crane-chessy-cia
A huge crane with a CIA history helps with the Baltimore bridge cleanup
In 1968, U.S. intelligence discovered a sunken Soviet submarine in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. To recover the sub, without the Soviets knowing, the U.S. needed a new deep sea ship.

And to build that ship, they needed a huge crane. That was Chessy's first mission.

"It was thought that there was at least one nuclear weapon aboard the sub," says Todd Bennett, an associate professor of history at East Carolina University. "And even more importantly, the portion of the sub that the CIA targeted contained a code room, a working code machine and then materials it was thought that explained how that device worked."
1712361779923.png
Life guards watch during the arrival of Howard Hughes' Glomar Explorer off Catalina Island, May 8, 1975.
AP

1712361900783.png

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Last edited: