Is through hole tactile switch correctly configured in this diagram?

clangray

Joined Nov 4, 2018
Is the following pin-out correct in the schematic? Aren't 1 & 2 supposed to be switched with 3 & 4 (on other side of open latch drawing)? How would I wire this diagram so that I am only using 2 pins?
Its just supposed to be a simple on-off switch. This is from the documentation/models provided:

EasyEDA Screenshot.png

Isn't this the correct way:
I've tried to achieve that orientation with Rotate and mirror change but with no luck.

EasyEDA screeenshot 2.png

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Is the following pin-out correct in the schematic?
How are we to know without having the switch, datasheet, or intended application?

Both orientations of the switch are functionally the same.

You didn't provide info on the switch, but the diagram makes it look like you could use terminals 1&4, 1&3, 2&4, and 2&3 because terminals 1&2 and 3&4 are connected internally.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The two diagrams are effectively the same.
The thing to note is that the pin spacings are not the same in both X and Y directions. The pins lie on a rectangular grid and not a square grid. You have to double check which pins are connected.

On the switches that I have the spacing between the switch contacts 1&4 or 2&3 is 4.5mm.
The spacing between 1&2 (also 3&4) is 6.5mm.

You only need to connect to two pins since 1 is already connected to 2.
Pins 3 and 4 are already connected.

clangray

Joined Nov 4, 2018
I'm going to connect PS wire to lead 1 and when switch button is pressed it will continue through lead 3. In the EasyEDA program do I do something with those unused leads 2 & 4? I don't need them.Schematic shot switch.jpg

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I'm going to connect PS wire to lead 1 and when switch button is pressed it will continue through lead 3. In the EasyEDA program do I do something with those unused leads 2 & 4? I don't need them.
Like I already mentioned, they are there mainly for mechanical support, they do not offer any extra electrical benefit.
They are only 50ma 24vdc resistive rated.

Last edited:

clangray

Joined Nov 4, 2018
Uggh thank you! Back to the drawing board: what search term would I use to indicate non-momentary switches? Do non-momentary switches have a special term?

Also I've uploaded a photo of the circuit schematic. If we can pretend that the switch is not momentary can I add a standby switch to the circuit? Standby would indicate the circuit is off.

The current power switch is circled to identify it since its difficult to see.

PwrandBeaconChainAECForum.jpg

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
Tactile switches are generally the wrong choice for a power switch.

The options are numerous:
□ toggle switch
□ rocker switch
□ slide switch
□ push-on/push-off pushbutton switch

The advantage of the first three types is that you can visually tell if they are on or off.