Is this diagram for 220VAC outlet correct?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
1599408217630.png

For the curious: I'm drafting a workshop which includes structural as well as electrical, gas and a dust collection system. A table saw is going to be brought into the structure and I want to do a preliminary drawing in TurboCAD where I want electrical outlets located. I've never hooked up a 220 VAC outlet except for one time a long time ago for my electric dryer. I don't plan on opening that plug just to see how it's wired; so is this correct?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
It's US (Utah); single phase 220 VAC (240 VAC). It's going to power a single phase 220V table saw. Most, if not all, other equipment will be 110VAC. But I have options.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Then you most likely do not need the 4 pin outlet as neutral is not usually required, that is how mine is hooked up.
If you already have the socket, then neutral pin connection is usually silver colour, as opposed to the brass for the others.
Also the GND pin in some case extends to the mounting box.
Max.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
A friend of a friend is an apprentice electrician, close to getting his license. I'm hoping he will help me wire the shop. When the time comes he may know an electrician who may sign off on the job prior to inspection; prior to insulation and prior to drywall. As I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) I am allowed to run the wiring from the main box to the outlets, switches and light fixtures. I'm just not allowed to make final connections, though I've done that sort of thing before.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
If you already have the socket
Have nothing yet. Will need to know what's needed when I get the machine.

Plan is for 20A double breaker on 220 line. 20A breaker, 12 gauge, 20A (110V) outlets (not 15A) and 15A breaker on 14 gauge wire for lighting.

Would the 20A 220V require 12 gauge?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
There WILL be permits. Are you saying I might (depending on UT laws) be able to get a permit to do the wiring myself? Hookup included?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There WILL be permits. Are you saying I might (depending on UT laws) be able to get a permit to do the wiring myself? Hookup included?
You would need to check with your local service supplier, here in Canada, most jurisdictions allow a temporary home owner permit, as I said, it has to be inspected before finalizing with power.
Max..