Is it possible to make a old 2004 pc into a 64 bit gaming pc

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
Did you ever hear about something called bottleneck? If you have a dual core CPU which is generally too weak to run modern games properly it will bottleneck the more powerful GPU because CPU wont be able to send data to GPU fast enough, so in the end you end up with CPU struggling at 100% load and GPU only working at 50%.

To run modern games properly you would need at least:
Core2quad Q9650 / Phenom II x4 955
R7 250 or HD7750/HD7730(OC) / GTX650 or GT 740
6-8GB RAM
500W PSU

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
Did you ever hear about something called bottleneck? If you have a dual core CPU which is generally too weak to run modern games properly it will bottleneck the more powerful GPU because CPU wont be able to send data to GPU fast enough, so in the end you end up with CPU struggling at 100% load and GPU only working at 50%.

To run modern games properly you would need at least:
Core2quad Q9650 / Phenom II x4 955
R7 250 or HD7750/HD7730(OC) / GTX650 or GT 740
6-8GB RAM
500W PSU
that's why I would upgrade to a core 2 quad later when I can afford it a core 2 quad is a quad core cpu

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Before buying an other processor, I would check the motherboard compatibility and bios compatibility with the intended processor.
You can not just put any processor in a motherboard.
Also check the processor socket on the motherboard.

Bertus

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
Hello,

Before buying an other processor, I would check the motherboard compatibility and bios compatibility with the intended processor.
You can not just put any processor in a motherboard.
Also check the processor socket on the motherboard.

Bertus
I know I cant put any processor in the motherboard ok that is why I want a new mother board you prob did not even look at the hole thread

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I know I cant put any processor in the motherboard ok that is why I want a new mother board you prob did not even look at the hole thread
Look Calm down here cause you came in here asking for help on a electronic design and building forum to ask about about computers.. Then talking about building a system with 64bit with only 4gb of ram and which the 32bit operating system was design for.. I understand you looking for help but the reality is that you need to do some research in order to learn why things are what they are .. For me I don't understand why your even wasting the time when your not understanding the reason behind everything ..

windows 7 and i will possibly have 3 hard drives one ssd drive (dont know how much space it has) and a 80gb drive and a 160 gb drive so it will be someware around 300 gb and ram will just be 4 gb might upgrade later in the future
Like this comment here .
First you don't count the SSD as storage memory because the drive was designed for speed of information retrieval . The average life span of the ssd decreases with each write to the drive .. That why most gamers or overclockers use the
ssd as the operating system only drive and that way the drive will see less writes and longer lifespan..

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
Look Calm down here cause you came in here asking for help on a electronic design and building forum to ask about about computers.. Then talking about building a system with 64bit with only 4gb of ram and which the 32bit operating system was design for.. I understand you looking for help but the reality is that you need to do some research in order to learn why things are what they are .. For me I don't understand why your even wasting the time when your not understanding the reason behind everything ..

Like this comment here .
First you don't count the SSD as storage memory because the drive was designed for speed of information retrieval . The average life span of the ssd decreases with each write to the drive .. That why most gamers or overclockers use the
ssd as the operating system only drive and that way the drive will see less writes and longer lifespan..
ok nevermind about this hole thing my grandpa is getting a new computer and his old one is broken he said it does not turn on so i think it might be the power supply or the power cable so he said if i can repair the pc i can have it so yah i just hope this one has a core 2 duo in it and not a pentium d

prof328

Joined Apr 15, 2016
First sensible decision you have made lol.
However, a pc that won't turn on could be for many many reasons, I hope that it is something simple for you but bear in mind it might not be.
You are going to need a voltmeter as the minimum, do you have one.
Also you would be well advised to get as much information as possible about what happened just prior to the failure.

Last edited:

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
First sensible decision you have made lol.
However, a pc that won't turn on could be for many many reasons, I hope that it is something simple for you but bear in mind it might not be.
You are going to need a voltmeter as the minimum, do you have one.
Also you would be well advised to get as much information as possible about what happened just prior to the failure.
ok i do have a multimeter if that is what you mean

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
What I am thinking to do with my 32 bit Pentium 4 pc in my basement is to replace the motherboard that supports 64 bit processors then but a core 2 quad in it then change the disk drive then change to a ssd hard drive then put a graphics card in it and the ram it supports I wanna know if what I am doing could work on a pc so old?
The education is a benefit. As for your dad ... price what it would cost and present the cost to him compared to buying a new one. Sell the old one. There is education in going through the process, but not much more in actually doing it. You may never get the results you want. New software, drivers ... by the time you got it finished it would be obsolete again. But, boy, what an education! :)

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
The education is a benefit. As for your dad ... price what it would cost and present the cost to him compared to buying a new one. Sell the old one. There is education in going through the process, but not much more in actually doing it. You may never get the results you want. New software, drivers ... by the time you got it finished it would be obsolete again. But, boy, what an education! :)
it will only take 35 bucks to convert 2 32 bit to 64 and from a Pentium 4 to a core 2 duo

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
It would take forever( if ever) to sell his 32bit PC, at that time Pentium CPU's were terrible.

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
It's impossible, because games for 64 bit uses more than 3gb in memory
I know I would get ram for it as well it has ddr1 ram ddr1 ram will not work with a motherboard built for ddr2 ram like I am getting see we all learn something here like what ram would work with what board

hellifino

Joined Jul 2, 2015
First - late to the thread but I'll say it anyway. No you cannot run 64 bit OS on a 32 bit CPU.

Buy a new pc. Sounds like you'd be best off buying a prebuilt desktop from walmart etc.

But supposing you want to assemble one yourself...

You can build a decent AMD for around ~ $350.
You can build a decent Intel for around ~ $500.
(This is excluding the price of a graphics card)

Those are DDR3, for DDR4 assume an extra ~ $100.

Add on an extra $100 for windows... $0 for linux. Whichever you prefer.

As I'm sure someone said, you will want at least 8 gigs of RAM. Preferably 16 if you're building for next few years. There are already games that eat 10 gigs of RAM.

If you give us a budget, we can put some build lists together pretty quickly.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
First - late to the thread but I'll say it anyway. No you cannot run 64 bit OS on a 32 bit CPU.

Buy a new pc. Sounds like you'd be best off buying a prebuilt desktop from walmart etc.

But supposing you want to assemble one yourself...

You can build a decent AMD for around ~ $350.
You can build a decent Intel for around ~ $500.
(This is excluding the price of a graphics card)

Those are DDR3, for DDR4 assume an extra ~ $100.

Add on an extra $100 for windows... $0 for linux. Whichever you prefer.

As I'm sure someone said, you will want at least 8 gigs of RAM. Preferably 16 if you're building for next few years. There are already games that eat 10 gigs of RAM.

If you give us a budget, we can put some build lists together pretty quickly.
LOL
Decent Intel build is 150-200 USD.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

It depends on what you call "a decent PC".
For gaming the price will go up very fast, as the demands of the games will get heavier with every newer version.

Bertus

hellifino

Joined Jul 2, 2015
LOL
Decent Intel build is 150-200 USD.
Assuming you're buying new, a case + psu + ram + mobo + disk are gonna run you $150-200 at the cheapest no matter what. You might find some clearance barebones kit for $100. But there's no way you build an entire PC that can run any modern games better than his existing machine for $150.

You might scrap his current PC assuming the case can fit a new card. Given that he's running DDR1 in a 2004 machine, he probably has some ancient 300w psu that's degraded down to 200w by now. If he wants to buy a graphics card that can run anything modern at all, a 200w is not going to cut it. And most likely his current disk is NOT sata, so you can't reuse that. I don't see how you came up with this $150-200. Maybe if you're buying off the shelf at walmart, but that isn't considered building.

There's also no way a $200 PC is going to last long enough to make it worth buying in the first place. That puts him in the same boat he's already in.