Is it possible to make a old 2004 pc into a 64 bit gaming pc

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
What I am thinking to do with my 32 bit Pentium 4 pc in my basement is to replace the motherboard that supports 64 bit processors then but a core 2 quad in it then change the disk drive then change to a ssd hard drive then put a graphics card in it and the ram it supports I wanna know if what I am doing could work on a pc so old?

Last edited:

prof328

Joined Apr 15, 2016
Basically not worth the effort, you would most likely need to upgrade the power supply too, and the cpu cooling.
By the time you have finished the only thing that you would keep from the doner pc would be the case.
Gaming pc's tend to have additional fans also, so you would be much better starting afresh with a proper gaming pc case.

Last edited:

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
If your p4 has socket 775 (lga 775), you can put core 2 cpu there. If it is socket 478, then don't bother.
yah I know that's is why I am gonna get a mother board with a cpu on the internet the cpu will be a core 2 duo and also the graphics card I will use is not going to be a super advanced one the one I will use will be a GeForce gt 730

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
Basically not worth the effort, you would most likely need to upgrade the power supply too, and the cpu cooling.
By the time you have finished the only thing that you would keep from the doner pc would be the case.
Gaming pc's tend to have additional fans also, so you would be much better starting afresh with a proper gaming pc case.
hey i am not going to build a super computer all i want to do on this is some lightweight gaming like call of duty or warframe and also i have a 80gb hard drive and a 160 hard drive and also a ssd laptop drive witch i do not know how much storage so i would have 3 hard drive with the ssd being the main one

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
How much memory do you plan on running and which operating system ??
windows 7 and i will possibly have 3 hard drives one ssd drive (dont know how much space it has) and a 80gb drive and a 160 gb drive so it will be someware around 300 gb and ram will just be 4 gb might upgrade later in the future

prof328

Joined Apr 15, 2016
ok don't say I didn't warn you. What is the power supply you have, how many fans in the case, when you upgrade things like cpu and graphics card you need more power than you currently use and better cooling, it is unlikely that the stock cooler that comes with the cpu will be good enough.
My power supply is single rail 750watt and I have 5 case fans + 2 in the power supply + 1 full size fan in the cpu cooler, which is massive, + 3 on the graphics card which is also massive, a total of 11 fans.
Also 8Gb of ram is recommended for gaming, but ram is cheap, and you should buy low latency matched ram.
Have fun and keep us posted.

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
ok don't say I didn't warn you. What is the power supply you have, how many fans in the case, when you upgrade things like cpu and graphics card you need more power than you currently use and better cooling, it is unlikely that the stock cooler that comes with the cpu will be good enough.
My power supply is single rail 750watt and I have 5 case fans + 2 in the power supply + 1 full size fan in the cpu cooler, which is massive, + 3 on the graphics card which is also massive, a total of 11 fans.
Also 8Gb of ram is recommended for gaming, but ram is cheap, and you should buy low latency matched ram.
Have fun and keep us posted.
idk how much power it has but I think it will be okay to use until I get a graphics card in the pc there is lot of stuff that does not need to be there like a floppy drive 2 disk drives and a Ethernet port 2 of them and a printer plug and I think there is only one fan I might upgrade to 2 or 3 cuz I got a few laying around

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
no my dad says i cant get another pc cuz i already have a 32 bit on he said i could switch to 64 bit if i wanted
I suppose that's about cost? If you can keep an eye on the local electronics recycling center, there a decent chance you could find parts, if not an entire CPU, for free. I was shocked at what was in my local bin. The pile of junk in my basement is far older!

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
I suppose that's about cost? If you can keep an eye on the local electronics recycling center, there a decent chance you could find parts, if not an entire CPU, for free. I was shocked at what was in my local bin. The pile of junk in my basement is far older!
ok thanks a lot for the advice I think I know where I can garbage pick

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
What I am thinking to do with my 32 bit Pentium 4 pc in my basement is to replace the motherboard that supports 64 bit processors then but a core 2 quad in it then change the disk drive then change to a ssd hard drive then put a graphics card in it and the ram it supports I wanna know if what I am doing could work on a pc so old?
Of course it will work.. You are replacing everything but the case/power supply.. Cases and power supplies have been standardized for YEARS now..
There is basically just an ATX motherboard and a MicroATX motherboard.. Just match the new motherboard to the same form factor as you have now and it will be just fine..
And the power supply more than likely has enough power..

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
Of course it will work.. You are replacing everything but the case/power supply.. Cases and power supplies have been standardized for YEARS now..
There is basically just an ATX motherboard and a MicroATX motherboard.. Just match the new motherboard to the same form factor as you have now and it will be just fine..
And the power supply more than likely has enough power..
thx for the help there was a bunch of old useless junk in the pc i took out like Eithernet ports and a floppy drive and a 2nd dvd drive that does not work well anymore so now i am shure it has enough power