IR Pair Basketball Hoop Help

E-tan

Joined Dec 16, 2019
Me and my partner are trying to build a IR sensor that allows for LEDs to turn on whenever something goes through a basketball hoop. Neither of us are very experienced with this stuff, so i am a little lost. Can someone help us out with the project?

Our materials are:
this arduino kit- https://www.amazon.com/ELEGOO-Proje...GVRXW2H4JZF&psc=1&refRID=2PK6HBRADGVRXW2H4JZF

a ton of LEDs and wires of different colors

And a lot of resistors of different resistences

Thanks for the help

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
If you use your Arduino to pulse it at 38Khz, this gives the transmitter a signal to aim at the receiver, and the receiver is looking for this particluar signal, and will only accept this and nothing else, thus preventing false signals, the transmitter and receiver are designed for 38Khz for remote control aplications like tvs, dvds etc..

TeeKay6

Joined Apr 20, 2019
I'm gonna be honest... i have no clue what that means...
There are both transmit and receive modules made, primarily for remote control of TVs using IR LEDs, that handle the 38KHz for you. You just supply the object that interrupts the IR beam, power (usually 3.3V or 5V), and circuitry that does whatever you want with the detection. Search eBay or Amazon for "38KHz IR transmitter" and "38KHz IR receiver."

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
How large is the " Something " going thru the net ?
Certainly the size of what is going through the net matters a whole lot. And why bother with using a microcontrol package to provide the detection scheme, if you don't need any of the other functions? That is a waste of resources and a source of excess complication.
Depending on the size of the object passing, one or three pairs, LED and photo-transistor will work well. Put the three LEDs in series with one resistor to limit the current to 20 mA or so, and the three photo-transistors also in series, with one load resistor to ground. Then when all three are illuminated the voltage will be across the load resistor, but if any beam is blocked then one will switch off and the load resistor voltage will drop. Use a CD4049 hex inverter with all 6 sections in parallel to drive the LED, pulling the cathode down to light it. And the whole system can run from one 12 volt wall wart type supply. No programming needed, very few pats required, total cost probably around $10 unless you shop at a high priced shop.