IPA50R140CP Replacement (PFC Circuit Repair)

Carel

Joined Jun 21, 2009
Hello Everyone

I have a question. I've repaired a Corsair HX1000 power supply (for myself to use as a spare) that I got from someone who chucked it away. The two main switching transistors failed as well as the PFC circuit. The issue is, the PFC circuit uses 3 × IPA50R140CP MOSFETs and the closest match I had in my junk box is TK25A60X. I've replaced the PFC circuit's MOSFETs (all of them) with the 3 × TK25A60X as I did a quick cross-reference search on RS Components and found this to be very similar in rating... However, after replacing them & testing the unit (it works), I see now the transistor's CISS, CRSS and COSS are very different as the datasheet from Toshiba tested the TK25A60X at 100-kHz whereas Infineon's IPA50R140CP were tested at 1-MHz (and at different voltages). The gate charge's are the same, the voltage ratings are similar, etc. But now I'm wondering if I should leave it as is or rather replace with the exact same part... I'm not sure how critical this will be when running the unit under full-load. Any comments / suggestions to help me understand if I have a valid concern or if I'm only being paranoid? Basically I'm not sure how to interpret the datasheets (if possible at all) in this regard as the ratings were tested (in the datasheets) under different conditions. Or should I rather be more concerned with the total gate charge, Qg? I'm hoping someone with power electronics experience can throw in their 2 cents...

Thanks

Carel

Joined Jun 21, 2009
I guess everyone else's guess is as good as mine... So I did a few load-tests today & the power supply ran just fine. So I'd say it's probably ok.