Investing in an oscilloscope

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
And, Mellisa, you always will want to store results of your measurements in digital format.
"The 2230 features alphanumeric CRT readout of many of the front panel controls. It has a DB-9 auxiliary connector on the right side providing an external clock input as well as an output for an analog X-Y plotter to make permanent copies of the display."

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I just impulsively bid on an old one suggested by MrChips. Good value I'm sure but I withdrew after I considered yours and others cautioning about old ones.
Just don't over pay.

I picked up a Tek 7603 series scope with plugins for $38. There weren't any serious bidders because shipping was high. The Seller was about 40 miles from me and I was able to pick it up for gas and a couple hours of my time.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Yes, thankyou.

I just impulsively bid on an old one suggested by MrChips. Good value I'm sure but I withdrew after I considered yours and others cautioning about old ones. I'll keep thinking.
I am impressed. You will do well. You will make mistakes. We all do, but don't let the little stuff bother you. This is little stuff. At worst, it is a learning experience and not too expensive.

John

Mellisa_K

Joined Apr 2, 2017
I am impressed. You will do well. You will make mistakes. We all do, but don't let the little stuff bother you. This is little stuff. At worst, it is a learning experience and not too expensive.

John
Agreed. Things are only big if we make them so. Reverse is easier said than done.

Mellisa_K

Joined Apr 2, 2017
Just don't over pay.

I picked up a Tek 7603 series scope with plugins for $38. There weren't any serious bidders because shipping was high. The Seller was about 40 miles from me and I was able to pick it up for gas and a couple hours of my time.
That's a good feeling. A can't go wrong feeling. The best

Mellisa_K

Joined Apr 2, 2017

John
Interwebs = Too easy to wake up and buy something before yre out of bed!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Changed my mind. Doh! I'll wait
Prices on test equipment wax and wane. They're on the high side now.

I've been wanting to get a 7CT1N curve tracer plugin for my scopes and the prices are exorbitant. Sellers are starting them out in the $150 range. Even for standalone Heathkit curve tracers, they want that price - untested/for parts/not working. Until prices become more reasonable, I'll stick with my B&K Precision 501. I bought it in non-working condition and repaired it with a 25 cent part.

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Always interesting to watch the closing bids.
Early bidders #334 and #638 were out of the game.

Bidder #1193 came in at $171.50.
Bidder #128 upped the ante by $20 at $191.50

Followed by a bidding war between #1193 and #128, with both players placing automatic bids.

#1193 had placed an automatic bid about an hour before the closing time at a maximum price unknown to bidders but higher than #128's maximum automatic bid.

In the end #1193 wins it at $211.05.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
When I'm buying something like this on ebay I wont bid til the final 10 seconds with my max bid. Otherwise people will run things up too high.
I set my maximum bid ahead of time and don't let your emotions interfere.
As you said, you have to wait for the last minute to see how it plays out.

In a live auction you can scare away the competition by raising the bar significantly, knowing what you are willing to pay. There is a good chance that it will do the trick.

Mellisa_K

Joined Apr 2, 2017
Gamesmanship. Just tell me how much you want and I will determine if it is acceptable to me. Hate auctions...
I'm with you Sam. Auction whispering is not my thing.

But, as MrChips says it can be a fascinating to to get insights into other ppls' tactics.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
When I'm buying something like this on ebay I wont bid til the final 10 seconds with my max bid. Otherwise people will run things up too high.
I use Gixen. It's a free bid sniper if you're okay with not having a redundant server. That way I don't have to watch the auction. I don't bid early so Shills don't have any opportunity to hammer away at your automatic bid to see what they can drive the price up to.