Investing in an oscilloscope

Mellisa_K

Joined Apr 2, 2017
My question is: as electronic engineers of considerable practical experience, what type of oscilloscope would you recommend i buy now, as my first oscilloscope, given my circumstances and interests and stage of development?

As a social researcher i know the power of graphical output to tell a story. I love graphs.

I am a hobbyist with a lot to learn about electronics. Ive been doing this hobby on and off for about 3 years. I only get a limited time to enjoy it. I am acquainted enough with it to know that i like it and I want to continue developing my skills. My only ambition in this area is to learn more about this fascinating quantum world of electronics - but not as a professional. I have little money to spend on this hobby. My next purchase is a benchtop oscilloscope - not a PC application. I know I can spend a lot of money on one but I hope I can buy one cheaper without preempting my later development needs while still meeting my current needs which are not very complicated.

So far I have bought two DMMs, a good regulated power supply (X2), a good soldering iron and lots of components. I have recently been experimenting with timer/ oscillator circuits with the help of AAC members. This area seems to be my main interest for the foreseeable future. These use ICs such as 555 4017 4060 ULN2003. I have build irrigation timers, LED dimmers, LED flashers, clocks, and other timing devices. I would love to see the output of these ICs in a more visible way than just reading the voltage drops and current at their output. I want to be able to use an oscilloscope as a graphical diagnostic tool to accelerate my learning and to make things easier for me and less reliant on AAC members to develop my own circuits by altering components to see the effect on the output of the circuits.

What more can I tell you about my circumstances/ needs so you can better advise me on this?

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
If your not looking to spend much and don't need anything fancy to start out with, not to long ago I picked up a 4 channel tektronix 2246 for $50 off ebay. Its old but a pretty good scope. You can find deals like that all the time on those older scopes. I generally prefer to use my picoscope over the bench tops myself. The application is very easy to use and record data and it fits in my work area better. Already have too many big bulky machines and cables all around.

Mellisa_K

Joined Apr 2, 2017
If your not looking to spend much and don't need anything fancy to start out with, not to long ago I picked up a 4 channel tektronix 2246 for $50 off ebay. Its old but a pretty good scope. You can find deals like that all the time on those older scopes. I generally prefer to use my picoscope over the bench tops myself. The application is very easy to use and record data and it fits in my work area better. Already have too many big bulky machines and cables all around.
thankyou very much for that. I will google picoscope, as youve piqued my interest in it. never heard of it.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I would buy a digital (processing) oscilloscope, either a stand-alone unit or, depending upon your budget, a PC based digital scope, such as the picoscope.
I believe there are some fairly good Chinese digital scopes that you can buy for a relatively low price, but I have no experience with them.

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
Take your time making this decision.

First you probably have a budget, what is it ?

Second there are a number of threads on this site and others where
other folks have sought advice and a lot of discussion has ensued.

Additionally like buying a car, probably not the last one you will buy.
Over time you may find yourself upgrading. Look at vendors websites,
like Agilent, Tektronix, Rigol.....for videos that show you what different
measurement capabilities can be used for.

Regards, Dana.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I second the idea of a modern digital scope. Rigol and Siglent offer a lot of bang for the money. Good discounts (at least 10%) on new equipment are available for both -- particularly if you have an education account (i.e., a ".edu" address).

A Tek TDS 210 was my first digital scope. Today, some are about $100 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-...937615&hash=item1cd787dabd:g:mlgAAOSwBA1dVKdS ). I would still go with a more modern (e.g., Rigol/Siglent) for a bit more, unless that "bit" was more than I wanted to spend.

If you stay involved, newer and more capable equipment will always become available. As others have said, it will not be your last scope.

Mellisa_K

Joined Apr 2, 2017

Regards, Dana.
I use VDS3102 - 100MHz, 1GSa/s, 10Mpt memory, 2+1 Ch.
https://owontechnology.eu/owon-vds3102.html
€190.08.
Just looking further on the internet, I can see these USB PC plug ins represent good value.

Mellisa_K

Joined Apr 2, 2017

Regards, Dana.
I was hoping to get my first oscilloscope for maybe AUD $300. I cant afford anymore.

Mellisa_K

Joined Apr 2, 2017
I second the idea of a modern digital scope. Rigol and Siglent offer a lot of bang for the money. Good discounts (at least 10%) on new equipment are available for both -- particularly if you have an education account (i.e., a ".edu" address).

A Tek TDS 210 was my first digital scope. Today, some are about $100 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-...937615&hash=item1cd787dabd:g:mlgAAOSwBA1dVKdS ). I would still go with a more modern (e.g., Rigol/Siglent) for a bit more, unless that "bit" was more than I wanted to spend.

If you stay involved, newer and more capable equipment will always become available. As others have said, it will not be your last scope.
I like the idea of a second hand one on ebay. That means old technology I guess but for my wants in the immediate future (described in #1) I think it will do for now.

Is a second hand oscilloscope the sort of thing that might be prone to faults though? ( Or perhaps "drifting out of sync" - I dont know what im talking about i just made that up)

Mellisa_K

Joined Apr 2, 2017

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Wow that's cute. It might be all I need for now. Can't go wrong with that.
Like I said, it's quite limited, it only has one channel and a low bandwidth. But it's excellent as a teaching tool and to diagnose basic problems. And as you said, you can't go wrong with a $30 dlls investment.

Mellisa_K

Joined Apr 2, 2017