Input DC Voltage into Full-Bridge Diode Rectifier

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
Yes, that one is DESIGNED for AC or DC. The one Koshi is working on probably isn't. Tell you what... I have an extra Dell power brick. I will film pushing 230 volts DC into it and post the video. I will be back to this thread with the link... I am sure it will make a good teaching point.

PhilTilson

Joined Nov 29, 2009
As is so often the case with these enquiries, we don't have sufficient information to be able to give a sensible response!

However, given that most laptop adapters will be switching power supplies and usually have an input voltage range of something like 85 to 250 VAC, I would try putting, say, 120VDC into it and seeing what happens. If the device works, then just leave it at that!

If you are actually talking about an older style power brick, then this would NOT be a good idea as many of these used an input transformer which would not take kindly to 120VDC! I certainly wouldn't bother to try to work out the maximum input voltage I could use in the first instance.

falade47

Joined Jan 24, 2017
Sorry pls..am new to electronics..i thought of koshi powering his load directly without passing a bridge rectifier..what realy is the purposse of the rectifier in this type of circuit..dc input and dc output with almost same values..

koshi

Joined Sep 25, 2014
Sorry pls..am new to electronics..i thought of koshi powering his load directly without passing a bridge rectifier..what realy is the purposse of the rectifier in this type of circuit..dc input and dc output with almost same values..
I am working on a project to potentially power/charge a laptop using just DC but still utilizing the AC adaptor. This probably isn't the best way to feed an input DC into a rectifier but I believe it does work as long as the adaptor is a SMPS as @PhilTilson has mentioned. But of course I have my own limitations of not having an AC input in the first place.

As someone pointed out 230v dc & 230v ac are potentially fatal, but 230v dc is more dangerous

As people have said most switching power supplies have a diode bridge connected to the input, so should tolerate dc. Many can work from a voltage range of 90v to 250v rms