Ideal motors for motorizing roll up shades

quique123

Joined May 15, 2015
Hi guys

A while back I was working on 2 projects that requires holding torque, for basically reaching a position and holding it steady for long periods of time:

1. The roll up shades which roll the shades up or down and then holds that position for hours, days maybe more.

2. A solar tracker that rotates the solar panel to 3 basic angles, East, West and flat. This one has to hold the position for about 2-3 hours each.

I was using steppers because I wanted to learn more about them but realized that my roller shades quickly unraveled. And never got to the solar tracker but imagined the panel or platform falling completely east or completely west when in actually I might need 30 or 45 degrees instead.

So what are the options? Should I change motor type or use additional components to make steppers work in each situation.
AAF76DC4-DCF6-4574-8001-DF0053C858BD.jpeg
Thanks for the tips!

DNA Robotics

Joined Jun 13, 2014
Car window motors are good for that. They move slow, are reversable and stay where they stop. You would need micro switches to sense position and for end of travel stops.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Most reduction GB's resist back feeding, but Worm and Pinion usually cannot be back fed at all.
I picked up some nice new/surplus W&P 12vdc auto seat motors CW GB locally, if you have an auto wrecker near you, this could be a source worth trying.
Max.

Last edited:

quique123

Joined May 15, 2015
I found this one online and was wondering that I should get it online instead right?

Is there something I should consider about online vs 90deg motor- reductor?

Also because I'm told they might have an old car window one nearby at a shop but they also have an angle.949E00E8-3C1C-4631-A3BE-2DCD0E87E09B.png

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Inline GB are generally either planetary or helical, the one in the picture does not appear to be worm and pinion as the motor or shaft is not offset.
Depends if back-feeding is a potential problem.
Max.