I need a Power Supply

Morad Tamer

Joined Oct 21, 2016
Hello everyone
I am an electronics hobbyist and I used to have a hacked PC PSU as a power supply
Unfortunately though I burned it because some piece of copper wire fell inside and made a short circuit
and BOOM I got the magic smoke
So I got another one which for some reason broke without me touching it after a great 3 months of spectacular use but I was kind of expecting that especially that I got it for 15 bucks
in the middle of a test the 3-volt rail sort circuited to the ground and the 5-volt rail but fortunately I noticed before any catastrophe since it turned out that it didn't had any kind of protection
As I am fed up from all of this I want to get a programmable power supply which is pretty expensive in my country
So should I get it or get another PC PSU but pick a higher quality model his time and mod it as i did to the previous two

Also is it OK for an LED to be operating at 50 degrees Celsius?

Please help me and really sorry if this was too much to read

Last edited:

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Sounds like all you need is something made of a non conductor.

Cover those terminals. Use coated/insulated copper wire.
Invest in some electricians tape, then use it. Don't test a circuit without insulation on the power wires and connectors.

A few extra minutes and some cheap insulating tape will cure you of the new found love of magic smoke.

Morad Tamer

Joined Oct 21, 2016
I did insulate those terminals
But that wire which bricked my PSU had fallen off while I cut the wires for the soldering and I just didn't notice it and because I move it a lot that piece of wire moved and made contact with two points that shouldn't connect

Still like you said a few extra minutes will cure me of the new found love of magic smoke
oh and can you help me the temperature of the LED which is 50 Degrees Celsius
Thank you

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
A good quality ATX power supply is almost indestructible so extend its wires and keep it away from your work area?

Give us a clue, part number, manufacturer, etc, on which LED.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hello everyone
I am an electronics hobbyist and I used to have a hacked PC PSU as a power supply
Unfortunately though I burned it because some piece of copper wire fell inside and made a short circuit
and BOOM I got the magic smoke
So I got another one which for some reason broke without me touching it after a great 3 months of spectacular use but I was kind of expecting that especially that I got it for 15 bucks
in the middle of a test the 3-volt rail sort circuited to the ground and the 5-volt rail but fortunately I noticed before any catastrophe since it turned out that it didn't had any kind of protection
As I am fed up from all of this I want to get a programmable power supply which is pretty expensive in my country
So should I get it or get another PC PSU but pick a higher quality model his time and mod it as i did to the previous two

Also is it OK for an LED to be operating at 50 degrees Celsius?

Please help me and really sorry if this was too much to read
How much power do you need? Wall transformers are a handy source of power. A variable supply is a good project, a pot, an op amp and a power transistor.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
A variable supply is a good project, a pot, an op amp and a power transistor.
Also a very simple variable, nearly bullet-proof, 1A supply can be made with an LM317 regulator, a pot, 1 resistor, and a couple filter caps.
The LM317 has the advantage over a power transistor of being short circuit current limited, and over temperature protected.

Morad Tamer

Joined Oct 21, 2016
A good quality ATX power supply is almost indestructible so extend its wires and keep it away from your work area?

Give us a clue, part number, manufacturer, etc, on which LED.
It is a 1 Watt 3 Volt LED
but at rated power and voltage it doesn't to the brightness I want
So I overclocked it to 3.3 Volts and monitored it for about 3 hour during of I haven't notice any unusual thing except that temerature which was maxing out at 45
I said earlier 50 degrees just to know how much headroom I have before it is unsafe to power it like ths

Morad Tamer

Joined Oct 21, 2016
It is a 1 Watt 3 Volt LED
but at rated power and voltage it doesn't to the brightness I want
So I overclocked it to 3.3 Volts and monitored it for about 3 hour during of I haven't notice any unusual thing except that temerature which was maxing out at 45
I said earlier 50 degrees just to know how much headroom I have before it is unsafe to power it like ths
during which*

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
LEDs are current operated, not voltage.
You should be controlling the LEDs current with a resistor in series.
What clock? :confused:
Of course increasing voltage will increase brightness and current. Your theory is correct. It just isn't a complete picture.
Yes, if he increases voltage it increases current and if he increases current it will increase the voltage drop across the LED. The two go together.
Re: 45 or 50 degree.
More brightness. Shorter life. Use a heat sink!
Not bright enough? Bigger LED.

Veracohr

Joined Jan 3, 2011
My first home project was a variable bipolar supply with LM317/337, which I still use. I have to use my multimeter to set it, but I'm still using it several years later. It's pretty simple.

Morad Tamer

Joined Oct 21, 2016
Sorry guys for not being able to respond as I had a couple of exams in the past days and I want to thank for helping me
Now I better know what I want and need for my next power supply and
I am currently searching at the local electronics stores around my town
Hopefully I can find something that suits me that is not too expensive
:)