How's the weather?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Heck, I should be happy sitting here in Cleveland, Ohio. The weather is fine, comfortable sunshine and mid 80s. Lake Erie where we draw our water from is at all time high levels. Homicides are up as well as crime in general but nothing new there. All in all apparently doing better than some places.

Ron

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Beautiful days and rainy nights in Georgia. Usually have late afternoon thunder storms this time of year on the coast but instead we get some frog stranglers all day and night. US 17 across the Altamaha River Delta is going a bit underwater in the low spots from high tide and the Altamaha swelling from upriver rains that are flooding the swamps along it. At times in the summer, you can almost wade across the river in places. Altamaha River Delta is "supposed" to second only to the Mississippi River Delta in the US. The river splits into the Main Altamaha branch, Butler River, Darien River, Champney River, and Cathead Creek just to the west of I-95 with all kinds of cuts, tributaries, canals, and connecting creeks and old ox-bows. Tends to get some "ain't from around heres (W/O GPS)" "lost" every year. From where it starts branching west of I-95 to the beach is ~14 miles as the crow flies of marsh islands, rivers, sounds, and creeks.
1662771385024.png

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Looking at the map you notice that a lot of it is in darker green and owned by our state and federal government. Along the Altamaha was one of several of Maj. Pierce Butler's (he resided in Philadelphia) Rice Plantations and reputedly the inspiration of a friend of his wife, Harriet Beecher Stowe writing Uncle Tom's cabin after visiting with them on a tour of their Altamaha plantation. The Butler family was the largest slave owners in the US but sustained momentous losses during the Revolutionary war and his son Thomas later became seriously in arrears with his gambling debts resulting in the largest slave auction at Savannah GA in US history of the people working the Altamaha Plantation to settle some of his debt. Was later bought in the early 1900s by a retired Col. Huston and used as a lettuce farm and dairy herd and milk plant. Then later bought by R.J. Renyolds of tobacco and aluminum fame. Sapelo Island was a "Sea Island" Cotton Plantation owned by Thomas Spalding. He was a bit different slave owner. He took each new slave out to the Hog Hammock part of the island and gave him a small parcel of land telling them it was theirs to do what they wished to with it. Which typically meant building a cabin and planting a garden along with raising small trapped feral livestock of pigs and cows along with the occasional feral marsh Takhi ponies. Sapelo Island was bought postbellum by Howard E. Coffin, founder of the Hudson Motor Car Company. It too was later bought by R.J. Reynolds who renovated the Coffin home into a mansion and even built a brick and stone barn for his herd of pure Black Angus cattle he started herding on the island. Many of the original slave families still live in and own the Hog Hammock Community properties and are attempting to resurrect their Geechee/Gullah heritage. The Geechee language gave us the old song Kumbaya, Geechee for Come By Here. Which was first recorded by an uncle of mine Robert Winslow Gordon who was a librarian of the Library of Congress and English professor at Berkly California. After going a bit wonky, Bob came back to Darien GA and Aunt Roberta (maternal grandfathers' sister) would drive Bob and his drinking buddy around coastal GA (also forays into NC, SC, and FL) making Edison wax cylinder and wax 78 LP recordings (now mostly in the US Library of Congress) of Gullah/Geechee/slave/labor gang songs, chanties, and ditties. Roberta drove because Bob and his buddy reportedly made frequent bar stops (at least that is the family story). Bob and Roberta are buried here in Darien in one of our family plots even though they were later divorced. After R.J. Reynolds divorced, his wife obtained the delta and island properties and upon her death gave them to the state and federal agencies who now control them except for the Hog Hammock and a few Racoon Bluff privately owned properties on Sapelo.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Global Warming!
I recall many years ago disaster was predicted if the average went up by 1°. o_O
  • Earth’s temperature has risen by 0.14° Fahrenheit (0.08° Celsius) per decade since 1880, but the rate of warming since 1981 is more than twice that: 0.32° F (0.18° C) per decade.
  • 2021 was the sixth-warmest year on record based on NOAA’s temperature data.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Years ago my parents ended up with property in Naples, Florida when my dad's brother passed away owing my dad. Mom always hated the place but dad loved golf in the winters. Eventually they sold to mom's delight. Just spoke with a close friend down around Tampa, he said pouring and wind. He was sitting in the dark as is everything around him. I feel for tham down there.

Ron

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Years ago my parents ended up with property in Naples, Florida when my dad's brother passed away owing my dad. Mom always hated the place but dad loved golf in the winters. Eventually they sold to mom's delight. Just spoke with a close friend down around Tampa, he said pouring and wind. He was sitting in the dark as is everything around him. I feel for tham down there.

Ron
I feel for them too but nothing stops "Florida Man".