How to shut down a wind power plant?

Lambo Av

Joined Apr 24, 2019
Just curious, how do they shut down those wind power plants given their tall structure? What are the procedures to do it? Thanks.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I believe the blades are variable pitch, and the angle of attack, and the orientation can be adjusted until there is very little rotational force and then a brake can be applied. I don't know this for certain, it is just a guess.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
https://www.explainthatstuff.com/windturbines.html
"Using these measurements, the entire top part of the turbine (the rotors and nacelle) can be rotated by a yaw motor, mounted between the nacelle and the tower, so it faces directly into the oncoming wind and captures the maximum amount of energy. If it's too windy or turbulent, brakes are applied to stop the rotors from turning (for safety reasons). The brakes are also applied during routine maintenance."

Lambo Av

Joined Apr 24, 2019
I believe the blades are variable pitch, and the angle of attack, and the orientation can be adjusted until there is very little rotational force and then a brake can be applied. I don't know this for certain, it is just a guess.
Its alright. Thanks for your answer! See you around

Lambo Av

Joined Apr 24, 2019
https://www.explainthatstuff.com/windturbines.html
"Using these measurements, the entire top part of the turbine (the rotors and nacelle) can be rotated by a yaw motor, mounted between the nacelle and the tower, so it faces directly into the oncoming wind and captures the maximum amount of energy. If it's too windy or turbulent, brakes are applied to stop the rotors from turning (for safety reasons). The brakes are also applied during routine maintenance."
Thanks for your answer! See you around

Rod777

Joined Aug 24, 2019
Many years ago we had rural automatic telephone exchanges (RAX) the batteries in these exchanges were charged by a wind powered generator.
We often had to feather these windmills (the wind power) it was done by pulling down on a wire, this wire pulled the tail at 90 degrees which took the fan at right angles to the wind. Thus they stopped or rotated extremely slowly, such that a technician could climb the short tower and stop the fan by hand quite easily.

Last edited by a moderator: