How to rewire a coffee machine to avoid 30min shut down timer

timal25

Joined Dec 19, 2023
Hello all,

I have recently purchased a Rancilio Silvia coffee machine that has the Euro union ‘GICAR Energy Saver’ module (titled CPU in the diagram) in it. This means that the machine shuts down after 30 min of inactivity.

I’m wondering if you lovely people might be able to give me some advice. Attached below are two separate wiring diagrams for the machine; one for the Euro model (named Miss Silvia E) and one for the US model (Miss Silvia).

Is re-wiring the circuit to bypass the energy saver module, i.e. changing from the Euro —> US circuit as simple as cutting and splicing the wires to make it look the same? I was going to use waco inline or terminal connectors, or butt connectors.

Alternatively could I replace the power switch in the Miss Silvia E with an On-Off toggle switch? Or, do I need to consider voltage, amps, current etc.

Cheers, from a newbieIMG_4481.pngIMG_4480.png

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hello all,

I have recently purchased a Rancilio Silvia coffee machine that has the Euro union ‘GICAR Energy Saver’ module (titled CPU in the diagram) in it. This means that the machine shuts down after 30 min of inactivity.

I’m wondering if you lovely people might be able to give me some advice. Attached below are two separate wiring diagrams for the machine; one for the Euro model (named Miss Silvia E) and one for the US model (Miss Silvia).

Is re-wiring the circuit to bypass the energy saver module, i.e. changing from the Euro —> US circuit as simple as cutting and splicing the wires to make it look the same? I was going to use waco inline or terminal connectors, or butt connectors.

Alternatively could I replace the power switch in the Miss Silvia E with an On-Off toggle switch? Or, do I need to consider voltage, amps, current etc.

Cheers, from a newbieView attachment 310356View attachment 310355
I suppose you can do anything you want. Don't expect to collect on your insurance if your house burns down and the modification is discovered. Don't bother with a warranty claim either. You knew that – right?

timal25

Joined Dec 19, 2023
I would say yes , linking terminals 9&10 on the cpu module and just wondering what terminal 3 does.
Thanks for your reply. Would this mean I can still use the on/off power switch as normal, or does joining those wires result in the machine always being on if turned on at the wall?

Cheers

timal25

Joined Dec 19, 2023
I suppose you can do anything you want. Don't expect to collect on your insurance if your house burns down and the modification is discovered. Don't bother with a warranty claim either. You knew that – right?
Hah yes I’m well aware of these things.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Safety would not seem to be an issue because there are still three safety thermostats in series with the heater. That should provide an adequate amount of protection.
This appears to be a case of assuming that a computer is much smarter than any person.

jiggermole

Joined Jul 29, 2016
Yeah I remember engine room coffee in the navy. Been slowly simmering down over the course of a week. Not emptied, just a new pot brewed on top. With just the faintest sheen of hydraulic oil on the surface. Perfection

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I do not challenge anybody else's choice of coffee. But one must be rather more desperate to drink it cooled off. So bypassing that time-out by tying the two connections will allow longer heating time, as requested. But avoid bypassing those three safety thermostats.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Often there is at least one thermal fuse fitted to such as coffee pots, I know of one case where one was by-passed and a empty pot caused a hole burned into the counter top!
According to the National fire service, the majority of home fires start in the Kitchen! :oops:
1703258274305.png

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
EVERY ONE OF THE CIRCUIT SCHEMATICS SHOWS THREE SAFETY THERMOSTATS.
NONE of the advice from any of the responders who described how to bypass the half-hour shutoff function suggested bypassing any safety functions, including the THREE safety thermostats. So the presented advice was quite safe. So why all of the panic?????