How to shut down a hydroelectric power plant generator?

Lambo Av

Joined Apr 24, 2019
Was cycling near a hydroelectric power plant generator with my sister and she asked me if they can be shut down. I said "Yes, all power plant generators can be shut down". I wasn't sure, so here I am to get some inputs on the safety procedures from AAC readers. Thanks. Any input is appreciated!

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The vertical shaft generator is driven by a horizontal flow water turbine. They close the huge gate valve on the "pipe" that supplies the water to the turbine.

Lambo Av

Joined Apr 24, 2019
They close the huge gate valve on the "pipe" that supplies the water to the turbine.
Thanks for your response. The pipe you meant is called the penstock, am I right?

And is there anything to be verified or any conditions to be satisfied before closing the huge gate?

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I've been in the TVA hydroelectric generating stations but clueless as to operational procedures. The generators are massive and there are 3-4 of them side by side. Typically one will be out of service for it's scheduled rebuild. Bearings, turbine blade repair, etc. The other notable thing is low rpm, especially compared to gas-fired and steam turbogenerators. At least at TVA which typically does not have as large a head pressure as some western dams do.