How to send sensor signal to 5-10km?

serhiip

Joined Jan 14, 2023
Now I detect motion with my Arduino Nano and 3pin motion detector:

detector.png
When detector triggers, I need to send signal (distance at least 5km) to another Arduino Nano and catch it. As far as I understand, 433Mhz is the optimal frequency for this.

Please suggest me what should I use? Which circuit, protocol etc. The solution should be as simple and as cheap as possible

Thank you in advance!

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Simple and cheap solutions do not exist for communication over 5Km. 433MHz transmitters that are cheap and simple top out at about 10m.

serhiip

Joined Jan 14, 2023
Simple and cheap solutions do not exist for communication over 5Km. 433MHz transmitters that are cheap and simple top out at about 10m.
I mean I need a single module, as simple as possible, without gathering a lot of modules. Of course it won't be very cheap

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
These claim 15km
I use WiFi with very good antennas and get 5 miles or 8km. It must be line of sight with no trees. One end is on top the house and the other is on a 5-story building. At first I used 2.5ghz but it will not work in the rain. Then I used 5ghz which can cut through water.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi agu,
It sent something like this on a 433MHz system
E
// Compose output character
static char *msg = str_out.c_str();

rf_driver.send((uint8_t *)msg, strlen(msg));
rf_driver.waitPacketSent();

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I can imagine that you have three options:

1) Dedicated RF transmitter/receiver
2) GSM
3) Internet

What you also need to consider is "line of sight". Landscape and impeding objects can influence your RF range.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Maybe have a look at some of the various LoRa boards?
I made some irrigation sensors that tried to use SMS for the signalling but found there is no guarantee that the SMS will get through in time. I thought my device was not working during testing and triggered it repeatedly. It appeared to send the SMS ok but the target phone did nothing. Then, quite some time later, a stack of SMSs were received. This delay rendered the product dead as the sometimes long delay rendered it unusable.
IrrigationMonitor.jpg
Redoing them all as LoRa devices would be ok, but I lost interest.

Have a look here for instance...
https://www.seeedstudio.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=LoRa

Last edited: