How to route LED resistor connector for double sided PCB ?

Gajyamadake

Joined Oct 9, 2019
Hi
I am practicing to design double sided PCB in Eagle .There is connector, resistor and Led on PCB board. I want to place LED and connector on top side and LED on Back side

How to route LED resistor connector for double sided PCB ?

1572265998827.png

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Hi
I am practicing to design double sided PCB in Eagle .There is connector, resistor and Led on PCB board. I want to place LED and connector on top side and LED on Back side
Confirm which component you want on the back side?

There is absolutely no reason to use a single via on that board. If for some reason you want both connections to a component on the back side to have its traces on the front, you need two vias. But to reiterate, vias are not needed.

Agree the traces should be much wider, as pointed out before.

Gajyamadake

Joined Oct 9, 2019
Confirm which component you want on the back side?

There is absolutely no reason to use a single via on that board. If for some reason you want both connections to a component on the back side to have its traces on the front, you need two vias. But to reiterate, vias are not needed.
I was looking a very small and simple example to design double sided PCB so I thought nothing is simple then the starting with Led's and resistor. I wanted to route component on both side that's why we called double sided PCB

That was the only reason I wanted to place resistor and connector on one side and LED on other side

Gajyamadake

Joined Oct 9, 2019
Last edited by a moderator:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi G,

It is important that you keep the same Thread for the same type of Topic, multiple Threads for the same Topic can cause confusion and duplication of replies.

Mod:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
No, First and second were on the same topics but This one was on the different topic.

I am sorry but I didn't wanted to mix all in one so created new for double sided PCB
You don't need a double sided board for your circuit. If you want to just because you can, all you need to do is put traces on the top and bottom.

In my version of Eagle, blue traces are on the bottom and red traces are on the top. You just set the layer before routing the trace. If you want to change the layer for an existing trace just use the change tool and change the layer.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
You don't need a double sided board for your circuit. If you want to just because you can, all you need to do is put traces on the top and bottom.

In my version of Eagle, blue traces are on the bottom and red traces are on the top. You just set the layer before routing the trace. If you want to change the layer for an existing trace just use the change tool and change the layer.
Also note that through-hole mounting pads are through plated. Thus, whether you connect traces on the top or bottom planes, it makes no difference. Electrically, a top trace and a bottom trace connected to a through-hole pad are connected.

Vias are useful when there isn’t a component mounting hole nearby. About the only timeI use them is when a jog is necessary around other traces.

Gajyamadake

Joined Oct 9, 2019
You don't need a double sided board for your circuit.
I know that but I wanted to start with the simple circuit so I thought I should start with resistor, LED and connector for double sided PCB
If you want to just because you can, all you need to do is put traces on the top and bottom.
see post #5, , blue traces are on the bottom and red traces are on the top

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I know that but I wanted to start with the simple circuit
If you want to try something a bit more challenging, try to lay this out on a single sided board (about 2.7" x 1.7").
1572366102622.png
All resistors are 1/4W (except R21 which is 1/8W), TIP30 is TO-220, regulators and other transistors are TO-92. I used 7 wire jumpers on the component side. Use whatever you want for pots; I used a small one for the 10k and Beckman 72PR1K (equivalent to Bourns 3386P style) for the 1k. V+ could be from 18-30V.

Pot packages:
1572367199375.png

I put 0.15" mounting holes in the corners of the board, but you can skip that.

If you want to try it, I can post the Eagle schematic.

Gajyamadake

Joined Oct 9, 2019
If you want to try something a bit more challenging, try to lay this out on a single sided board (about 2.7" x 1.7").
Yes definitely I want to make something complex and I have plan in mind.

I would like to make PIC development board instead of something so benefit would I can use it to learn embedded programming.

I know this is basic circuit and I can add power supply and programmer circuit.

1572370334867.png

But the problem is PiC16f877A is not available in Eagle library so I searched on the internet and found that I have to create new library for PIC16F877A.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
But the problem is PiC16f877A is not available in Eagle library so I searched on the internet and found that I have to create new library for PIC16F877A.
1) Making new devices is something you will need to do sooner or later. Sooner is better. Usually, you can find a suitable package. There is one for that chip in the Eagle library. Then all you need is a symbol and there are probably other 44-pin devices with the same pinout. If not, get something close and modify it. Then connect the pins to give your own device. Set up a personal library for those devices rather than add to an existing library. That library will grow.
2) Your current design does not include connections for ICSP. You probably want to add them.
3) It is better to start with an actual schematic. Then you will have electronic rules check (ERC) and schematic capture for the PCB design that will help find errors.
4) A lot of Eagle users, myself included, rarely use device libraries found on the Internet. It is as hard to verify them, perhaps harder than to make your own.