Altium PCB Routing: How to make the end of the route not round but straight

BlackMelon

Joined Mar 19, 2015
Hello guys!

In Altium, I am routing a trace to the component R6, and I would like to make the trace thicker. As I increase the trace's width, the trace's ending is round and it extends into the middle of R6. Can I make this ending straight instead?
1666584143015.png

BlackMelon

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I like heavy traces; it helps pull heat out of the part. Because I work in hot environments, at high current I often use trace widths that are about the same size as the pad.
Each CAD is different. Some have the option of how the trace starts and ends. (round/square)
I often use a very thick trace, end it slightly short of the target, downsize to small and bring the trace to the pad. It is extra work. In your case the small trace might be 0.5mm long.

Another option is to edit the "R0603" and move the pad center slightly to the outside.

BlackMelon

Joined Mar 19, 2015
Can you numerically adjust the end point? In the case shown, change the y-coordinate to move the end point very slightly higher.
Ok I will try it

I would not connect the thick track directly to pad 1.
View attachment 279656
This is what I'm doing. But if there's more convenient way, it would be better

I like heavy traces; it helps pull heat out of the part. Because I work in hot environments, at high current I often use trace widths that are about the same size as the pad.
Each CAD is different. Some have the option of how the trace starts and ends. (round/square)
I often use a very thick trace, end it slightly short of the target, downsize to small and bring the trace to the pad. It is extra work. In your case the small trace might be 0.5mm long.

Another option is to edit the "R0603" and move the pad center slightly to the outside.
Yes, I like heavy trace because of this too. Actually in Altium, there is an option to automatically create a footprint based on your keyed-in values (called IPC something). I will choose bigger pads.