How to rewire old food processor motor

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
These motors are often variably controlled with a simple triac 'dimmer' style controller, they operate in a run-away condition, IOW the RPM depends alot on the load as well as voltage..
Being series field, they have a fair amount of torque.
Max.

lookingforhelp

Joined Jan 9, 2020
There is two filed wingdings Some are wired Field -armature- field. all in series, ensure you connect the two field up so they are wound in the same direction as below.
In some cases the armature is between the filelds, others the armature is after both fields.
Max.

View attachment 228045
Ill draw a diagram of this motor so i can show it better. I feel like my explanations werent that good.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Ill draw a diagram of this motor so i can show it better. I feel like my explanations werent that good.

Your motor has both field windings separate wired, so you must make sure they are in series the same way or the motor won't run, here is a video of how to test it on a battery.

lookingforhelp

Joined Jan 9, 2020
If you are nervous of energizing from 120/240 etc, try it first on low voltage, a automotive battery should show results.
Max.
1610904783650.png
heres a crude drawing of the motor. i did it in paint since photoshop didnt want to launch...

Would the motor move with low voltage? Its a 230v. I guess it would move but not with the correct rpm. I also would guess its an AC motor?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
View attachment 228048
heres a crude drawing of the motor. i did it in paint since photoshop didnt want to launch...

Would the motor move with low voltage? Its a 230v. I guess it would move but not with the correct rpm. I also would guess its an AC motor?
It is a Universal motor, so it will operate on AC or DC.
Even at 12vdc, it should spin up to some degree to show it is operating OK.
Wire the motor power to one field through the armature to the other field, the second field will be connected to the other power conductor. i.e. series.
Try it on L.V.
If it does not spin, swap conductors on one field.
Max.

lookingforhelp

Joined Jan 9, 2020
Wire the motor power to one field through the armature to the other field, the second field will be connected to the other power conductor. i.e. series.
Try it on L.V.
Max.
1610905912604.png

would this work? or how should i wire it? and i guess polarity doesnt really matter.

lookingforhelp

Joined Jan 9, 2020
Try it on L.V.
Max.
i got it working. Thank you for the help. It wouldnt be running without it :D