How to desolder a 100 pin connector?

Younes Thabet

Joined Jan 9, 2019
Hello all,

I have the connector in below images that I need to remove from this board to use it in a different board.

IMG_20231024_201203.jpg

IMG_20231024_201345.jpg

I tried using a soldering iron with desoldering pump but it doesn't suck the melted solder because of the small size of holes..!
The board is an old board and the connector is obsolete and there is no exact alternative.
How can I remove these kinda connectors with lots of pins? Any better methods?

Thanks,

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
  1. Keep applying and removing solder until you get enough removed to get free each pin.
  2. Try adding some low temp solder.
  3. Use a vacuum desoldering tool.
  4. Use a hot air tool with your desoldering pump.

Younes Thabet

Joined Jan 9, 2019
  1. Keep applying and removing solder until you get enough removed to get free each pin.
  2. Try adding some low temp solder.
  3. Use a vacuum desoldering tool.
  4. Use a hot air tool with your desoldering pump.
Thanks,
Hot air gun with desoldering pump might work ..
I will try it tomorrow and see if it does it.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Low melting point solder would make this relatively easy.

The stuff is almost miraculous. You need a tiny bit for each joint. It alloys with the existing solder and you will actually be able to have all the joints molten at once—the part will fall out.

One thing, be sure to completely remove the low melt alloy from the PCB and any iron you might use. If you leave it, it will continue to make low melting alloy and that can be very frustrating.

It’s great stuff though, and amazingly effective.

[EDITED: for typos]

Last edited:

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
Last week I pulled on each contact one at a time and heated just that solder. It destroys the connector. Once the connector is removed it is easy to suck the colder out.
Sometimes I cut up the plastic and make it several smaller connectors.
I have used a toaster over to heat the entire board to the milting point. It will reflow all the other parts.