how this multivibrator works?

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
Electrolytic capacitor is reverse biased,
when voltage on anode is negative relative to cathode
or voltage on cathode is positive relative to anode.
1635078880352.png

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Sorry about the omission. I wrote: in any case it does experience reverse bias, but one word was missing. Should be:
...in any case it does NOT experience reverse bias.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The collector voltage on the transistor that is conducting does not go to ero, but does drop to some low voltage if the transistor is fully saturated. and so the reverse voltage will mostly serve to remove the chathe on the capacitor, and once that charge is removed the circuit will switch. so the apparent reverse bias is not a high current state, and will not be a serious problem. And the final circuit in post #20 removes the problem completely.

Kjeldgaard

Joined Apr 7, 2016
In every particular case you can find solution, where reverse bias will eliminated.
For example:
I wonder where the short spikes at the start of the LED currents come from?

With an estimate on 25 pF Base / Emitter capacity and 10 KΩ Base resistor on opposite transistor, I get a time constant of a quarter of a microsecond.

And with the stated resistors, I also think that the peak currents should be higher than 5 mA

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018

With an estimate on 25 pF Base / Emitter capacity and 10 KΩ Base resistor on opposite transistor, I get a time constant of a quarter of a microsecond.

And with the stated resistors, I also think that the peak currents should be higher than 5 mA
If those short current spikes (post #20) actually exist, they can only come from discharging the capacitors discharging against the base of the transistor that is switched off. So I am suspecting that they may be a simulator software artifact, only present in simulation, not in reality.

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
Classic multivibrator
1635204083233.png1635204203689.png
Current spike
C1 current goes not only through capacitance of Q2 B-E, but through capacitance of Q2 B-C too, or maybe it is Q2 Miller effect...
1635201441335.png________1635203149844.png

Attachments

Last edited:

xljin2014

Joined Nov 11, 2014
The collector voltage on the transistor that is conducting does not go to ero, but does drop to some low voltage if the transistor is fully saturated. and so the reverse voltage will mostly serve to remove the chathe on the capacitor, and once that charge is removed the circuit will switch. so the apparent reverse bias is not a high current state, and will not be a serious problem. And the final circuit in post #20 removes the problem completely.
somebody says reverse bias is not good, somebody says is ok. lol

Classic multivibrator
View attachment 251091View attachment 251093
Current spike
C1 current goes not only through capacitance of Q2 B-E, but through capacitance of Q2 B-C too, or maybe it is Q2 Miller effect...
View attachment 251085________View attachment 251088
I think C1 is big enough to absorb current from base-emitter or base-collector capacitors. don't know why it suddenly has a -50ma current. I think the current should go from power to R2 to C1 and Q1, to encharge C1, and let point b open Q2. I'm not sure if this enchargement can make current spike of Q1. or how C1 current comes into being.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
When Q1 is conducting, it's base current is higher, and so C2 charges up thru the 200 ohm resistor. Then when Q2 conducts, C2 discharges thru the Q2 collector because the base of Q1 is at 0.7 volts, or close to it. Thus the very short current spike.

xljin2014

Joined Nov 11, 2014
When Q1 is conducting, it's base current is higher, and so C2 charges up thru the 200 ohm resistor. Then when Q2 conducts, C2 discharges thru the Q2 collector because the base of Q1 is at 0.7 volts, or close to it. Thus the very short current spike.
when Q2 conducts, the base of Q1 is about 0.3V

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
In fact, current Ib(Q2) is sum of currents Ie(Q2) and Ic(Q2) of minority charge carriers,
earlier stored in base and flowing from base region under impact of reverse
base bias. At 8.5ns base region is devoid of stored charge and Q2 is OFF.

1635324154079.png

Last edited: