How do you guys organize your stuff?

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Write it down ,why.....according to experts they say...anything you write,even
your letters are copyrighted,the receiver has no right for your letter.

Keep things in order and keep a binder for your letters and notes.

Examlpe.. New story...I will convert to humor.

The Potomac River in Washington, D.C.-....They are digging a bypass trench
for pollution that will be complete in 2025..when the news get out that there
are sex change chemicals that cause male fish to lay eggs,a new tourist boom
may occur. Sex change couples swimming in the Potomac...following there
dreams. If you see this on T.V. let me know.

Now get back to picking up and having a place for everything....This post is
litter,clean it up.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I think I'll just file away all my good ideas in your inbox loosie. Type them out and then send them to you for safekeeping. If you delete them or try to capitalize on them, they'll always be in my sent folder, date stamped.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Lets clean the work bench and whisle while we work...watch our humor

notes go on the tonite show. Once they find it here first they will check it out

every day. Lets try a fish story...people like them. The guy got pulled over

a traffic ticket for sure,the driver,do you fish..the officer..yes..driver

did you ever throw one back.. the officer said..yes, you can go with a warning.

An other example of a messy post that needs to be filed.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Try these. You can place them in various notebooks. Parts are place in small plastic bags or on anti stat foam. I insert card stock for labels. I add some tape at the top of each of the pockets to keep the stuff from slipping out.

Attachments

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Spinaker,that what I do,use the see thru 3 hole binder stuff.
You can see front and back and sit look thru them for reminders.
You know there you have to keep looking till it show's up.
I have file cabinet full of the binders. I,m a pack rat,that a
disease now..I can collect for packrat treatment,If they can find me.
I offered Joey non-returnable tools to help,but he didn't want
to get close enough to catch the packrat fever,conservative
and smart guy.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
And my desk generally accumulates junk until I can't see it/work on it/push the junk back any further/cant fit my laptop on it/just cant take it anymore, and I'm forced to clean it.
I do almost the same: once a project is completed (a subjective, personal judgement, almost never happening), prior starting the next, I classify everything on the bench, clean the area and put a blank paper sheet on the bench used for notes, soldering or just keeping things on it to minimize the chances of them disapearing from sight.

Believe it or not, it happened last night. In minutes I will start soldering for a test with two micros.

Books and datasheet to the shelves (their number is shrinking little by little but they are still there) and tools to the drawers.

All notes, calculations, flow diagrams to a white envelope duly identified.

Spending (wasting) time to keep everything in their box while designing something, I cannot do.

A place for each component is not a matter of obsession, just a way to survive. In my job I became obsesive with order just to survive while attending up to three vessel at a time in different ports as Suprercargo. Oh yes!

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I classify everything on the bench, clean the area and put a blank paper sheet on the bench used for notes, soldering or just keeping things on it to minimize the chances of them disapearing from sight.
that's an excallent idea! I got my daughter a 300ft roll of butcher paper for christmas. maybe I'll steal a few yards of it.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I've taken to using a empty sheet of paper folded in half. It is where I keep my notes. When it wears out I get another one, and move those notes I really needed to keep over.

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
That, my friend, is called Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, or OCD; I have a friend with it, though it's much more selective (her rooms a mess, but she flips when the volume isn't an even number, [even after I explained that the numbers have no absolute meaning, and are relative to the TV in question])

And +1 to the height comment, that's how mine are :D

As to the original post, I have a bunch of shelves around my desk, and they are covered in boxes and bins and totes and organizers and such, all crammed full. Components are organized by type. Diodes in a box, resistors in a little divider thing you can get at a hobby shop, wire is all in a bin, IC's are in their tubes in a pile on a shelf above my desk, and so on

It sounds better than it is
And my desk generally accumulates junk until I can't see it/work on it/push the junk back any further/cant fit my laptop on it/just cant take it anymore, and I'm forced to clean it.

If you want a cleaner hobby, switch to software ;)
I wouldn't say I have an OCD, it's just my standard of living and the way I go about things.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
One on the panel was the creator of the Internet Creative Commons Public
Domains License. Another from the Copyright Office,Check pbs shedule
for the Diane Reem shows last week.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
that's an excallent idea! I got my daughter a 300ft roll of butcher paper for christmas. maybe I'll steal a few yards of it.
Whyyyy??

I've taken to using a empty sheet of paper folded in half. It is where I keep my notes. When it wears out I get another one, and move those notes I really needed to keep over.
I write notes down on whatever's around
then stack it all eventually
(chronological order ;))

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I take notes on the paper the schematic is printed on, or in a notepad-like application, and store it in the projects folder.

Occasionally the papers are neatly.... floating around all over the place, and when the project is done, I gather all papers regarding the project in one place.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
butcher paper costs less than repainting the walls. She's got an easel for christmas also, and I mounted the roll of paper inside the easel between the legs. it comes up through the center and then down over either side. I wonder how long until she runs out.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
butcher paper costs less than repainting the walls. She's got an easel for christmas also, and I mounted the roll of paper inside the easel between the legs. it comes up through the center and then down over either side. I wonder how long until she runs out.
ok, that just seemed really random at first