Homework Help

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
A lot of Homework Help thread starters same to expect us to do the homework for them.
Do you think if the name was changed to something like 'Homework Assistance' they would better understand the function of that forum?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
A lot of Homework Help thread starters same to expect us to do the homework for them.
Do you think if the name was changed to something like 'Homework Assistance' they would better understand the function of that forum?
I don't think it's a lack of understanding. Many just don't want to do the work, they are only looking for answers. Maybe an change to "Homework Assistance. No, we will not do your Homework" will be effective in reducing the numbers by a few percent..

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Honestly, no. I don't think it will have any impact. It's worth trying "Homework Hints", but I wouldn't hold out too much hope. There are just some people that think that it's okay to expect other people to do their work for them.

A small number of people respond very well to the Socratic method, but many others get frustrated because you aren't answering their questions directly.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I think Homework Hints would incrementally improve the posts. But as others have noted, there are some who don’t want to do the work.

I’d like a pinned and locked post that would contain a reviewed, standard response to posts in this forum. Then, we could all rely with a standard response copied from such a post.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Honestly, no. I don't think it will have any impact. It's worth trying "Homework Hints", but I wouldn't hold out too much hope. There are just some people that think that it's okay to expect other people to do their work for them.

A small number of people respond very well to the Socratic method, but many others get frustrated because you aren't answering their questions directly.
Yes, that is one of the drawbacks. Most will need some additional motivation to put up with the process but are usually grateful for the insistence.