Hi guys. I have problem. Y my "NE5532" heats up? And also R10" 22ohm5w

Discussion in 'Analog & Mixed-Signal Design' started by Omgits3, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Omgits3

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 11, 2018
    I create a mono amplifier and it plays well but the IC and resistor heats up. I only use 3 speaker 2ohms connected in series

1-6789784c66_Amp-ne5532_Omgits3.jpg

MOD: Please Create a Regular Thread for this type of Topic, not a Poll Thread. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2018
    Unais likes this.
  2. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
    hi Omgits3,
    Welcome to AAC.
    Do you have an oscilloscope that you could use to check the Output, it may be oscillating.
    Your drawing is difficult to read, bigger would be better, also add the component values.
    E

3. LesJones

Jan 8, 2017
    I suspect R10 heats up due to a DC offset on the output. I suspect the opamp heats up due to it trying to drive too high a value of load but as Eric points out you have not given component values so we can't calculate it this is so. This could also be the cause of the DC offset on the output.

Les.

4. Omgits3

Aug 11, 2018
  5. LesJones

Jan 8, 2017
    Do these tests with no input to the amplifier.
    Set your meter to about the 20 volt AC and connect it via a non polorised capacitor (Any value you have above 0.47 uf) between ground and the junction of R9 and R10 and note the reading. (It should be zero. If it is not then the amplifier is oscillating.)

Set your meter back to about the 20 volt DC range.

Disconnect the speakers. Measure all these voltages with respect to ground and post the results. As your meter is analogue it does not read negative voltages so you will have to do these tests twice reversing the test probes.
    Make sure you include the polarity of the readings in the results
    1 The voltage at the junction of R9 and R10
    Measure these voltages directly on the pins of half of the NE5532 that you have used.
    2 Pin 1 / 7
    3 Pin 2 / 6
    4 Pin 3 /5
    5 Pin 1 / 7
    6 Pin 4
    7 Pin 8

Other points. I suggest that you do not leave the inputs on the unused half of the NE5532 floating. Connect the unused + input to ground via a 100K resistor. Connect unused - input to the unused output via a 100K resistor.
    You have the wrong value resistor for R10. It should be 0.22 ohms NOT 22 ohms. This is not the cause of the fault. It will just greatly reduce the output when you get the amplifier working.

Les.

6. Omgits3

Aug 11, 2018
    Hi LesJones,
    Im sorry but i dont know what exactly to do. i don't know where to put my test probe and where to measure. If u dont mind sir can u please make step by step procedures? I hope it is ok for u sir.
    Thank u very much for help :)

7. Dodgydave

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 22, 2012

Put your Negative lead on the Ground Terminal which is the junction of C10,C11

Put your Positive lead on the speaker output at R9,R10 Junction.