Help! Triac operation for AC motor

Mrchow

Joined Jan 12, 2021
Hello everyone and greetings. I have got my hands on this massage chair that has all it's functions working all right except for the up down mechanism. As soon as it is started the main assembly moves up and hits the upper limit switch but the drive motor does not stop and starts to vibrating and get hot. I pulled out the control circuit and after some testing found one of the two triacs to be leaking. M1 and M2 and Gate all have a small voltage drops when measured with a multimeter.

The triac in question is a BTA06-600C. I have BTA06-700B's which I guess should work fine with the circuit. I don't have too much of a grasp on triacs and was wondering wether they have compatible issues, like when using transistor in pair.

Should I replace both the triacs with the ones I have?
N.B. the triacs are driven by two MOC 3063 IC
Thanks for the feedback and have a great day. Cheers

Attachments

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
The triac is a 6A 600V type and the new one is 6A 700V, you need to remove the triac to test it properly. Yes you can replace it with the 700V one the 700 type has a 100mA gate current, the moc opto-couplers are for isolation from the mains , you can leave them in.

Mrchow

Joined Jan 12, 2021
The triac is a 6A 600V type and the new one is 6A 700V, you need to remove the triac to test it properly. Yes you can replace it with the 700V one the 700 type has a 100mA gate current, the moc opto-couplers are for isolation from the mains , you can leave them in.
I did remove the faulty triac in order to test it, in circuit it was a dead short between M1 and M2. Should I replace both the triac? or will replacing only the faulty one work. I don't know whether there is a compatibility issue.