need help with Push On/Push Off TRIAC control

bdeschamps

Joined Oct 14, 2019
Hello All

I'm an Electrician just starting to explore electronic circuits so go easy on me. I'm working on a dimmer circuit that I want to be able to turn on and off with one push button. It will be connected to a 120 VAC supply, so I believe I will have to reduce the voltage and convert it to DC for the push On/Off latching circuit. Then using a TRIAC to turn on and off the dimmer circuit. I want to be able to use LED bulbs.I have assembled parts of this project individually but have not attempted to but everything together. I have pieced my schematic together the best i could from similar projects i found on the internet. please look at the schematic i have created and any advise on component sizing and circuit operation will be much appreciated. there is probably a simpler way to achieve my goal of turning on and off a TRIAC with a latching circuit so any advice will be much appreciated.

dimmer.jpg

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Direct mains powered circuits are not allowed on this forum.
As @MaxHeadRoom said, use an optocoupler to drive the triac.
The 555 can then be isolated from the mains using a small powersupply.

Bertus

bdeschamps

Joined Oct 14, 2019
Hey thanks for the quick response. How would this circuit be achieved in a regular household light switch? I have recently found a dimmer that is turned on and off using a push button, with separtse controll for the dimming level. I've tried to find schematics for this product on line but haven't had any luck.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Hey thanks for the quick response. How would this circuit be achieved in a regular household light switch? I have recently found a dimmer that is turned on and off using a push button, with separtse controll for the dimming level. I've tried to find schematics for this product on line but haven't had any luck.
There are any of several electronic ways to get where you want to go. The dimmer you recently found likely just uses a simple mechanical Push On / Push Off button switch. Push it once and it's On and push it again and it's Off. In your original drawing it would replace your Triac 1. It's just a matter of selecting a switch which will handle the current you want. Just for example a common 600 watt 120 VAC dimmer looks at 600 / 120 = 5 Amps. A Google of "push on push off switch" switch should get you started. You just need a complete package to fit into a single gang box.

While there are plenty of electronic solutions a simple mechanical push button switch should work. That is if I understand you correctly.

Ron