Help Identifying SMD Component... not from this planet?

Bryce0286

Joined Sep 17, 2018
These are a pair of FRSKY receivers for FPV drone racing. The model to be exact is the FRSKY XM+ running on 2.4ghz with full diversity antennas... Trying to think of any details that would help identify the missing component...
The one on the left came with a used drone i bought and the one on the right is my original fully functioning one. So the receiver on the left is missing a component that i've never seen before. Not that that means much... So its brown with a white dot on one end and that made me think maybe Diode or Capacitor? But it has/had 4 solder pads... I haven't tested the other brown squares with my multimeter much, didn't want to fry something i wasn't supposed to touch...lol
Any help or direction or if i could learn something new today i would be so happy.
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

Bryce0286

Joined Sep 17, 2018
I would say it's a Tantalum Capacitor , the dot is +.
That was one of my guesses... It just doesn't make sense lol. I can't find anything close to it on the internet and the company that makes them said to contact technical support and technical support said they don't know, and they could help with the purchase of a new one. So the 4 solder pads, would 2 of them be to help mount the component?

Ylli

Joined Nov 13, 2015
Would be nice to have an in-focus photo of area where the part was mounted. Is it actually a 4 terminal device, or are those other 2 pads actually just via's?

Bryce0286

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Would be nice to have an in-focus photo of area where the part was mounted. Is it actually a 4 terminal device, or are those other 2 pads actually just via's?
So ive been trying to take a picture thats clear enough and im struggling hard core lol...
this probably doesnt help because you want to see the pads correct?frsky-xm-unltra-mini-receiver.jpg

Bryce0286

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Ill try to get that picture of the component missing and zoomed in, but just wanted to add that on the back side of the receiver there's no through hole "via's"? shining a high power light on all angles off the receiver chip i cant see anything around that missing piece that would go through...
(sry if i misuse technical terms... im self taught lol)

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
My guess is that the presumably 6 pin chip on top right is an SPDT RF switch, the 8pin chip is some amplifier, and the golden boxes will be high and low pass filters or bandpasses. All rf signals in that path should be routed on the top layer only, and vias going only to ground from the looks of it.

Anyway, unlsess there is some marking on the filters, it is really hard to say what they exactly are.

Ylli

Joined Nov 13, 2015
Your new picture is good enough to see the signal flow into and out of one of the devices. It does nook like a filter of some kind. Looking up this receiver online, you can probably buy a new one for less than you would spend on replacing that part.