Help Identifying a component, Photo Included

asgiov

Joined Feb 5, 2019
Hey guys, just needed some help identifying this component. This was soldered to a couple points on a circuit board and held down by some epoxy. To repair a bad trace, maybe?

Either way, I don't know the name of this component and could use some help identifying it. That is all. Thanks in advance! unnamed.jpg

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The appearance is of a diode, but what type is unknown. given that there are many special function types of diodes more information about the rest of the circuit is needed to have any clue as to what kind. Was the system functioning as required? Or did this look like some sort of hacking effort?
Rectifier, zener, varicap, diac, photo-diode, are a few of the types. Even possibly a tunnel diode. Many possibilities.

asgiov

Joined Feb 5, 2019
Hey MisterBill2,
I'll post some pics I took of how the diode was installed. It was installed along with a resistor to 2 points on the board.
It seems like a "hack" method for fixing a sync issue with the monitor. The resistor and diode were both covered up in a large blob of epoxy as well.

I think I found the diode itself is 1SS110 1S S110 - TUNER BAND SWITCH DIODES
SILICON EPITAXIAL PLANAR DIODES FOR TUNER BAND SWITCHING
Hitachi Semiconductor

The board in question is the main "A" board of a Sony PVM CRT monitor.

Reason for opening the Monitor in the first place was because the geometry of the picture stopped resolving itself properly and was bowing heavily in the top corners... Previously, this would resolve itself after the monitor had about 5-10 minutes to warm up... but eventually just stopped altogether. I disassembled the monitor to see if fix was possible by spotting any bad capacitors. One was clearly bulging and replaced with a new one. I also replaced a couple capacitors on the neck board, just because I had new matching ones and they were easy enough to replace. This is also when I discovered the diode and Resistor installed like there were to the underside of the Main "A" board.

I re-assembled the monitor and it now works MOSTLY without the diode and resistor installed, but cannot get a proper sync without it.
TV menu displays fine... but any picture from the RGB BNC inputs is erratic and out of sync, though otherwise colors, and geometry (now seems perfect), and everything else seem to be fine.

At this point, I was just planning to resolder the diode and resistor back to how they were, since it seemed to work well enough.
The monitor is just used to play old video-game consoles through it's RGB inputs, so having a perfect fix is not dire by any means.

But I'm willing to humor and hear out any other possible solutions or fixes if anyone thinks they know a better way than the "hack" fix.

unnamed.jpg

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I see such fixes on a whole lot of electronics, it seems like either they don't adequately check the artwork prior to building, or perhaps they don't even adequately verify the circuit design before doing the artwork. Sometimes it looks like the router could not figure out how to place a few parts. So some, like this one, are a production fix. Isn't it amazing how many fewer parts are included in a flat screen monitor?
And I am wondering how you found the exact part number in a relatively short time. That would be useful in other cases, perhaps.

asgiov

Joined Feb 5, 2019
Thanks for the insight, MisterBill2! Never knew these type of production fixes were a thing, but it does make sense.
I resoldered the diode and resistor back in place and monitor is back up and running well now.
Thank you again! =)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Never knew these type of production fixes were a thing, but it does make sense.
I tear monitors apart once in a while and I can likewise verify that fixes like that are a common sight. I'm not sure I've ever taken apart a CRT without finding that sort of thing.