First hardware project - a system to check car battery

raziell122

Joined Mar 28, 2023
Hello everyone!
I'm about to start a little project that has to be consist of hardware components only without using any programming language (can not include programmable devices/microcontroller).
The project's purpose is to imagine a system that checks a car battery, one circuit needs to measure the battery output voltage and whether it's out of a known range (let's say 12 to 12.7V) then the system needs to operate an indicator (LED/BUZZER).
Second circuit of the system needs to measure leakage current from the battery and if it's value is over than 50mA, also operate an indicator.
Also, I want to display the voltage/current values on a 7-segment display using ADC + suitable device to convert the binary output from ADC into BCD number so that the 7-segment decoder will be able to work with it, but I can't find an appropriate device to do so in Multisim.

Any help with choosing relevant devices and other ideas to start the project will be great for me!
Thank you all in advance!

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
I's called a Digital-Multi-Meter,
a cheap one will do just fine.
You can also use a simple Volt-Meter-Module for a few Dollars.

Measuring the normal Battery-Drain from all the Computers is a different matter altogether.
this requires disconnecting at least one Battery-Cable, and using a high-quality Multi-Meter.

raziell122

Joined Mar 28, 2023
I's called a Digital-Multi-Meter,
a cheap one will do just fine.
You can also use a simple Volt-Meter-Module for a few Dollars.

Measuring the normal Battery-Drain from all the Computers is a different matter altogether.
this requires disconnecting at least one Battery-Cable, and using a high-quality Multi-Meter.
Hey and thanks for your comment!
I definitely can observe the resemblance between the project I described to DMM, but I can't buy a DMM or it's module since my project is a part from laboratory task and I have to do all the work by myself.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hey and thanks for your comment!
I definitely can observe the resemblance between the project I described to DMM, but I can't buy a DMM or it's module since my project is a part from laboratory task and I have to do all the work by myself.
Do you have to make any semiconductors you might use out of available beach sand. That reply is pretty rediculous.

raziell122

Joined Mar 28, 2023
Do you have to make any semiconductors you might use out of available beach sand. That reply is pretty rediculous.
I meant that I need to plan the circuit for my project in Multisim and then assemble it on a breadboard by using the components I have chosen to work with....

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I meant that I need to plan the circuit for my project in Multisim and then assemble it on a breadboard by using the components I have chosen to work with....
This sounds like some kind of school project, such as homework or a lab. If so, then please indicate that since the restrictions on what you can and can't do for an assignment are almost always significantly different that what you face when doing something on your own or for an employer.

raziell122

Joined Mar 28, 2023
This sounds like some kind of school project, such as homework or a lab. If so, then please indicate that since the restrictions on what you can and can't do for an assignment are almost always significantly different that what you face when doing something on your own or for an employer.
Yes friend, my mistake. I forgot to mention the fact that it's a lab project (college).
I must plan the project by myself, can use components from families 74XXX and 40XXX only, highly recommended to use as many types of components from the list: A/D, D/A, 555, V/F, Op Amp, Flip Flops, Logic gates, etc.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The voltage part is easy, but the current part is not, since you can't readily put a shunt in series with a car battery to measure such low leakage currents (unless, of course, you can disconnect the battery from the vehicle).
One possibility would be to use a hall effect sensor for the current.
Would that be allowable?
Also, I want to display the voltage/current values on a 7-segment display using ADC + suitable device to convert the binary output from ADC into BCD number so that the 7-segment decoder will be able to work with it, but I can't find an appropriate device to do so in Multisim.
What particular device can't you find?

raziell122

Joined Mar 28, 2023
The voltage part is easy, but the current part is not, since you can't readily put a shunt in series with a car battery to measure such low leakage currents (unless, of course, you can disconnect the battery from the vehicle).
One possibility would be to use a hall effect sensor for the current.
Would that be allowable?
What particular device can't you find?
I would like to share with you some reference that I got from a student that built similar current circuit in the past, I did not completely understand it, if you can help me get it's working principle it will be great!
1680243040918.png

about the device I couldn't find, it's an IC that converts binary number to BCD, so I will be able to connect in the voltage circuit ADC->Binary to BCD->BCD to 7-segment display.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
it's an IC that converts binary number to BCD
There was an IC to do that, but it is obsolete, and difficult to find.
That task otherwise requires several IC's unless you can use a microprocessor.

One way is to use a binary down counter and a BCD up counter.
The binary number is parallel entered to the binary counter.
It then counts down to zero while the BCD counter counts up from the same clock.
When the binary counter reaches zero, the BCD counter will contain the BCD number equivalent of the binary value.

Another option is the ICL7135 A/D converter which generates an output to directly drive an external display.

raziell122

Joined Mar 28, 2023
There was an IC to do that, but it is obsolete, and difficult to find.
That task otherwise requires several IC's unless you can use a microprocessor.

One way is to use a binary down counter and a BCD up counter.
The binary number is parallel entered to the binary counter.
It then counts down to zero while the BCD counter counts up from the same clock.
When the binary counter reaches zero, the BCD counter will contain the BCD number equivalent of the binary value.

Another option is the ICL7135 A/D converter which generates an output to directly drive an external display.
They way with the binary and BCD counters sounds amazing! are you able please to help me find these components names in Multisim? I must use 74XXX/40XXX

raziell122

Joined Mar 28, 2023
You mean you can not use an ADC chip?
Yes I can, I started playing with it, I found the binary counter but I don't know whether this 74LS90 is the right component for BCD up counter since it does not have a CLK pin:

1680275905067.png

Also, I could find only 8 bit ADC, how the way to enter all the bits D0-D7 in parallel to the 74LS193N if it has only 4 inputs A-D?