Electromagnetic gun of sorts

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalmoto

Joined May 10, 2008
Someone gave me 2 electric staplers, that were not working very good anymore.
That is, they were not stapling right, jamming constantly, whatever...
So I took them apart, to see how they worked! Which was not easy, because the were glued together. So I used a dremel, to cut them open.
What I found inside, was a small circuit board, with a micro switch, and a solenoid coil.
Tinkering around with one of them, in my friends garage... I found, that if I inserted a small steel ball, into the coil, flicked the micro switch, it sent the ball flying about 12 feet, into my friends garage ceiling. With enough force, to put a dent in the drywall...
In my case, I used a ball from a vintage Pachinko machine. You probably never heard of Pachinko. You can research it yourself, if your interested!
But it's basically about a 3/8 inch sized steel ball.
I found it very interesting, and was thinking about uses for it.
We also tried inserting other steel parts into the coil, like small nuts and bolts. They too were sent flying into the air, but not as high, or with quite the same precision, as the balls.
The small coil, is quite powerful. But I am not thinking of making some sort of weapon out of it. Instead, I was thinking more like a Pichinko "ball lifter". This is where you have to do some research, to understand, what I am taking about...
Anyways, I was thinking of using them to shoot the balls, through a plastic pipe, into the upper hopper, of my 2 vintage Pichinko machines. The machines are normally refilled manually, by collecting the used balls in a container, a dumping them into the upper hopper by hand.
If anyone knows what I'm talking about, I would be glad to hear your thoughts on this?
Thank You.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Yes, what is your question? If you have a system that can lift a ball and move it to a hopper, and you want to use that system, then yes, you have my permission to do that.

Also, you should change the title to "solenoid ball mover" or this thread will be closed because magnetic projectile machines are not allowed. Just above the first thread (but below totle) you can clicke the blue text "thread tools" or something similar to "edit title"

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Sorry to note that the subject of this thread is not allowed in this forum according to the User Agreement

Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Any kind of jammers (ie - Phone jammers)
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.