Electromagnetic Compatibility Testing and Measurements

uppi_777

Joined Feb 26, 2018
Hello

May i know the best Online or offline Trainings or courses for learning EMC. I would like to prefer more on EMC Tests, measurements and failure analysis.
Looking forward for your inputs.

Thanks

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hello

May i know the best Online or offline courses for learning EMC. I would like to prefer more on EMC Tests, measurements and failure analysis.
Looking forward for your inputs.

Thanks
I don't know anybody that has ever learned it from a course. All the people I ever knew, learned it from a mentor. Maybe that is just too old school for the 21st century.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
All the people I ever knew, learned it from a mentor. Maybe that is just too old school for the 21st century.
That's because it is a black art and you have to be initiated. . .
But seriously, learn good circuit design, and good pcb design first. If you do that it makes the EMC design so much easier.
I can't recommend a course, but I can recommend a book - EMC for Product Designers Tim Williams ISBN 0-7506-1264-9

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Also:
Those in the know limit the number of people they mentor to restrict the supply of experts in the field. At least that is what my mentor told me. I laughed at the time until I became aware of how the medical profession limits the access of prospective candidates to medical schools, and makes them jump through hoops on there way to becoming doctors.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I have no connection to these guys ,
they have some good free stuff, as well as more formal paid courses

https://learnemc.com/
Then I guess you're going to have to do it the hard way. It might take you a while and cost you a small fortune. You will need to buy or rent the test equipment and that is not cheap. Next will will be the anechoic chamber, which will be a major capital expense. The real expense will come when your first product fails the testing and you have no clue why that might be the case. Then you will probably want to hire a professional to solve the problem and this will be the tuition for entry into the fraternity.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
First, what is your motivation for wanting to learn how to do EMC testing? And more important, what is your level of education relative to electronics? A good design engineer who already understand a lot will be able to learn by studying the test specifications, a first year tech student will certainly have a whole lot to learn.
Some published specifications include a whole lot of information about test conditions, and
Much of EMC testing is discovering the effect of external signals affecting systems being designed,and for that it is rather handy to have a good understanding of the circuit being evaluated.
A very good source of information about EMC testing is available from the makers of EMC testing equipment, although they will tend to explain the benefits of using their products. If you have a specification number they will be happy to explain exactly what equipment you will need to do those tests.

Last edited: