EHT power supply design and construction

boatsman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
Regarding etymology; I believe 'Magdala' derives from the name of a city in the Middle East? --- Then too, IIRC, there is a 'biblical figure' named 'Magdalene'? - Though I am uncertain as to the 'connection' (if, indeed, any exists)...

There is a town in the north of Israel called Migdal. The name Magdala may have come as a transliteration of the original name which means a tower. Therefore Magdalene would be an inhabitant of Magdala.

HP are you saying I can grasp like _big picture_ just by personally visiting those places?
No guarantees! -- IF, however, there is a 'big picture' to be 'grasped', I expect one's prospects would be enhanced via such 'physical immersion':)

from GE I can see a country club for the western coordinates and a Cotswold estate at the eastern ones?
Congratulations! You cut and paste coordinates most proficiently!;):cool:

So are like you say _exact spots_ open for public access or reasonable fee? Cuz it's enough hasstle just going there without having to join CC or charter manor house:rolleyes:!

Re: COEX-1
The links are owned/operated by a small, informal and very friendly rural club -- So long as you stay out of the patrons'/members' way you may walk straight out upon the property sans so much as a 'may I':) --- Notice that COEX-1 is, conveniently, rather near the street:)

COEX-2 is on a privately owned estate (albeit I expect the NT has their grubby proletariat mitts in it:(:rolleyes:) -- I found the owners to be very friendly and accommodating:) -- That said, please expect to pay a nominal 'courtesy fee' (I suggest ≈ 500 USD Equivalent) -- Above all - please be ever cognizant of the fact that the estate is a family's home not a public park! Please let your demeanor reflect as much!

Should you require further or contact info for either site please contact me off-list --- Lest this thread begin to resemble a travel folder!:eek::rolleyes:

HP I'm not being stingy cuz even you're saying all for fun:rolleyes:!
Hey @Aleph(0) -- In this case I'd be 'lecturing' you were you contemplating significant outlay! - By all means hold it to 'pin-money' until/unless you feel there is anything to investigate/explore!:):):) At this juncture I advise you to regard it as a diverting outing --- Nothing more!:cool:

I know last thing you'd be asking me to do is _larking about_:p
Which reminds me... Have you got fairly underway on 'instruments' installment yet?;);):)

All the best
HP:)

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
HP Tnx for all that:)! HP now I'm asking is there really any benefit to Q spoiler winding on Mazzilli ver of resonant Royer osc? I can't notice any with split 200 Ohm termination but I say that's maybe cuz already swamped by big secondary?

HP It's good thing we're doing this cuz too many lame YT channels are disseminating false info about hv projects!
Like saying they have 150kv cuz arc drawn to 8" but it can only strike within .5 cm:rolleyes:! So like maybe 7kv! and same ignorance all over web:eek:! If all they want is to draw arcs I say they can with mot or linear amp plate xfmr and play all day never mind the no2 and o3 and metal fumes:rolleyes:! HP you say I get too angry cuz of other ppls stupidly but it really bugs me to see comments from newbies who think they're seeing demo of plans for real deal but its only one idiot's copy of another idiot's stupidity:( I'm afraid that when their lifters or ion motor or xrays don't work some give up on HV and electronics altogether:( So they need to know that only problem is lack of hv from get go! All stupid drivers give is low kvs and enough current to volatilize electrode material for long arcs!

HP I know you won't dumb down tutorials and like you say subject is too dangerous for rank amateurs anyhow. But I am happy about integrity and totally educational approach so I'm saying I'm pumped about being more involved with content creation:) HP I've been reading my posts on here and now I have to say I'm sorry that I am always sounding like I'm criticizing:(

is there really any benefit to Q spoiler winding on Mazzilli ver of resonant Royer osc? I can't notice any with split 200 Ohm termination but I say that's maybe cuz already swamped by big secondary?
Hey @Aleph(0) -- In the interest of coherency - I prefer to hold discussion of driver design in abeyance pending completion of the current subject (whence the former will become our focus) -- In the meantime, should you wish, I'll be happy to discuss same 'off-list'!:)

HP It's good thing we're doing this cuz too many lame YT channels are disseminating false info about hv projects!
Like saying they have 150kv cuz arc drawn to 8" but it can only strike within .5 cm:rolleyes:! So like maybe 7kv!
problem is lack of hv from get go! All stupid drivers give is low kvs and enough current to volatilize electrode material for long arcs!
Agreed!:rolleyes: And, sadly, most of the very few knowledgeable YouTube presenters of the subject offer little to no technical details/schematics:rolleyes: --- Much more disturbing are the burgeoning number of clowns whose appalling recklessness (especially with X-Radiation) threatens to place responsible amateur experimentation on a 'par' with the current 'predicament' of laser enthusiasts (in the eyes of regulators) -- Granted! Unlike (highly collimated) laser sources 'the inverse square law' greatly mitigates x-ray hazards to 'bystanders' -- even so, the largely 'ignorance fueled' public hysteria in regards to ionizing radiation coupled with the quite legitimate (and, IMO, tragic) observation that the majority of the world's population are crowded into close proximity (and, hence, greatly enhanced liability to the negligence of their neighbors) constitutes a significant issue/concern in this regard -- Imposition of the galloping hypocrisy of 'credentialism' and of the chilling effects of over-regulation (quite apart from any ulterior agenda back of their implementation) are readily and solely preemptable via responsibility on the part of the amateur community!

HP I know you won't dumb down tutorials
Indeed not!:) I can think of a no more damming faux pas than insulting the readers' intelligence! -- then too, there is my "Occam’s Razor complex";););)

like you say subject is too dangerous for rank amateurs
This aspect has occasioned me many hours of consideration -- i.e. how best to achieve 'selective accessibility' -- To wit: composition of a useful resource all the while eschewing 'cook bookery' as regards hazardous topics -- For instance, the current tutorial (i.e. optimization of certain TV LOPTs for serious EHT applications) poses no electrical/radiological hazards (in and of itself) and, hence, may ethically be offered as a 'step-by-step' --- Discussion of drivers, on the other hand, will require (in addition to frankly worded safety warnings/disclaimers) a conceptual (as opposed to 'rote') approach -- lest an unwitting or otherwise 'wrong-minded' reader stumbles upon what constitutes a 'recipe for disaster'... IMO folks in quest of 'dangerous toys' will be impatient of 'lessons' when there are plenty of 'recipes' to be found elsewhere!:cool:

I am happy about integrity and totally educational approach so I'm saying I'm pumped about being more involved with content creation:)
Very pleased to hear it!:):):)

HP I've been reading my posts on here and now I have to say I'm sorry that I am always sounding like I'm criticizing:(
Hey - Aleph? I might say the same regarding many of my comments --- For all that, I feel a measure of adversarialism (as regards critique of proposed content) can be --and, IPF, is-- a good thing! --- Comfortable though it may be, 'back patting' and 'high-fiving' accomplishes nothing in the way of honest review and refinement!:)

Many thanks for your alacrity and considered, conscientious regard of this effort!:):):)

All the best

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Discussion of drivers, on the other hand, will require (in addition to frankly worded safety warnings/disclaimers) a conceptual (as opposed to 'rote') approach -- lest an unwitting or otherwise 'wrong-minded' reader stumbles upon what constitutes a 'recipe for disaster'...
I don't think you have any worries about unwitting people building this. I'm a fairly witting person and I find it very difficult to read.

Consider this sentence:
Imposition of the galloping hypocrisy of 'credentialism' and of the chilling effects of over-regulation (quite apart from any ulterior agenda back of their implementation) are readily and solely preemptable via responsibility on the part of the amateur community!
After reading it three times I think it says, "You can get away with almost anything if you keep your activities quiet and safe."
85 syllables vs 22 syllables
Have you ever heard of a, "readability" score?

I don't think you have any worries about unwitting people building this. I'm a fairly witting person and I find it very difficult to read.
Hey @#12 --- If you genuinely find certain passages of the tutorial lacking in perspicuity we implore you to direct us to same! Your feedback is essential! --- It is set 'go live' on 'Projects' following completion/incorporation of the 'prequel installment' and Aleph's 'primer'... --- In the meantime I will be 'polishing' and proofreading - ad infinitum:eek: --- Again, the value of third-party feedback cannot be over-stressed!!!:)

After reading it three times I think it says, "You can get away with almost anything if you keep your activities quiet and safe."
Essentially correct -- though I quibble with the (possible) suggestion of duplicity vested in the phrase: "get away with";):cool:
I offer the following 'workable' (albeit, necessarily, imprecise) condensation: "Tenure of rights and privileges is only to the extent that exercise of same does not, and is not perceived to, negatively impact others..." :):):)

85 syllables vs 22 syllables
Have you ever heard of a, "readability" score?
In my experience, a 'five course' exactitude compares quite favorably to a 'readily bolted' ambiguity!;):)

Again, many sincere thanks for your input!:)

Best regards

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
HP,

There maybe unwitting people building HV projects, however, YouTube provides the necessary documtation to the extent of their experience.

They may like the comparison to Edison, who racked qup the number of failures prior to the successful light bulb.

The only problem is the radiation poisoning may take twenty years to show any symptoms.

A primer on radiation poisoning should preface any project that has the potential of irradiating someone.

The hook, don't do this at home, only inspires one to do whatever shouldn't be done.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
In my experience, a 'five course' exactitude compares quite favorably to a 'readily bolted' ambiguity!;):)
I understand your intent.
I have enjoyed your writing style. I learn from it regularly.:)
Sometimes, I even emulate it.:D
Sometimes, it presents quite a challenge!:eek:

I am curious about the origin of your style of writing.
Everyone in the U.K. doesn't speak like you. For instance, Cockney is virtually undecipherable for completely different reasons.
A London accent is very easy for me to interpret. For Welsh and Scottish, I am struggling again. Lord Carnarvon causes me no difficulty.

To be fair, Southern Drawl (south eastern American dialect) is so distorted as to feel distasteful to me, but I can understand it.
There is an accent in Philadelphia which I find simply impossible.:confused: I have to ask those people to spell some of their words!
So, I wonder if there is a word, a label, for the style you use or the region where your writing style is considered, "normal"?
P.O.S.H? Oxbridge?
There simply must be a less pejorative description than, "She sounds like she swallowed a dictionary.":D

I realize this line of inquiry is, "Off Topic". I would continue in P.M. if you prefer.;)

There maybe unwitting people building HV projects, however, YouTube provides the necessary documtation to the extent of their experience.
For my part, while I cannot hope to estrange a fool from his/her folly neither will I 'play matchmaker' nor bestow my 'blessing' upon such a 'union'.:rolleyes:

The hook, don't do this at home, only inspires one to do whatever shouldn't be done.
Agreed! Moreover said disclaimer smacks of disingenuousness and, I daresay, no small degree intellectual cowardice! Apprehension of danger is a 'how and why' (as opposed to a "do and don't") proposition! -- Or, as @Aleph(0) is wont to say: "A microgram of explanation trumps a solar mass of unqualified monition":cool: (Possible paraphrase?) --- It is expected that genuinely interested parties are going to 'try it for themselves'!-- This is offered as educational material - not mere demonstration!

The only problem is the radiation poisoning may take twenty years to show any symptoms.
--Emphasis added--
Or, more precisely, presentation of pathology corollary to genetic damage (which being sequelae of acute or chronic over-exposure...) -- IOW agreed!

A primer on radiation poisoning should preface any project that has the potential of irradiating someone.
Absolutely!!! Such will be offered as a detailed explanation of the mechanisms of injury/pathology (in addition to a graduate-level 'treatment' of health-physics with emphasis upon Roentgenology) -- as opposed to a mere "don't do that"! -- --- @JoeJester - Corollary to the above - I'm counting on your support when (some of) our readers inevitably accuse us of attempting to turn AAC into JHU:rolleyes:;):D --- It is my considered (and immutable) opinion that responsibility (and, hence, 'safe technique') derives solely from comprehensive knowledge!:)

Many thanks for your input!:):):)

Best regards
HP

Last edited:
@#12
P.O.S.H. Port out, starboard home. Oxford is not de rigueur at present because of Isis.
---Emphasis added---

Surely you're not suggesting a connection between 'Isis Innovation' and 'Islamic State' militants? -- I assumed the former was in reference to the Ancient Egyptian deity?:confused:o_Oo_Oo_O

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Acceleration or deceleration?

The Darwin awards are given to those that support the thesis against evolution. Maybe their bloodline includes felines ... After all curiosity killed the cat. :)

Of course, the analysis of the Darwin winners will bring up the nature / nurture treatises.