Eagle is no longer Free (FYI)

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I was reading about some of the neat enhancements , such as multiple grid sets and decided to give v.9.xx a try. That was short lived once on the Autodesk site:

1583187935334.png

An exception appears to be made for students. Will posting in the Homework section count? ;) My 7.2/7.4 versions are running just great for the one or two PCB's I do a year.

I know one other user here prefers Oshpark (@nsaspook ). For a premium price ($10/in^2) you can get "After Dark" ( https://docs.oshpark.com/services/afterdark/ ) . That is, clear solder mask on a black board with ENIG finish. Kind of makes one feel guilty for putting it in a box. Not me. I am not particularly fond of purple, but I do like to save $'s.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I'm still using version 4. I have some 7.* version on a laptop, but they broke move group, so I installed version 4 and stopped using 7. The only feature I liked was more flexible overbar, but it's not enough to use 7.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I still have a paid for Linux-64 7.7 version. It appears the Linux users don't need to activate fusion as there is no Linux version of the Fusion-360 software.
https://eagle-updates.circuits.io/downloads/latest.html

https://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/fusion-360-for-hobbyists

Who is eligible?
  • Individuals with non-commercial personal design projects.
  • Individuals doing home-based non-commercial manufacturing and fabrication.

I don't use them because their boards are pretty or ugly, I use them because they make a superior product compared to most low-cos t Chinese PCB houses with extra options to try and match OSH.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I'm still using version 4. I have some 7.* version on a laptop, but they broke move group, so I installed version 4 and stopped using 7. The only feature I liked was more flexible overbar, but it's not enough to use 7.
Broke move group (or any other action on group)? From my viewpoint, it was improved (been using since 3.x). You can outline as a whole box, as a meandering polygon (double click right to close), and then include or exclude individual objects. I usually use the rectangular box or polygon methods.

What do you consider broken?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
@nsaspook

I don't know what's available or what's required. I used to get the educator's license, which typically required a .edu e-mail. I know that .org does not work. And of course, .net or .com don't work either.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
When I select a group, right clicking brings up a context menu. When I select move group, the group starts moving using the coordinate from the menu click as the reference point.

In the older version, the right click used that coordinate as the reference for the move.

They also removed a commonly used function from the menu on the left side of the canvas,

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
When you left click and hold with select selected, you create a rectangular selection box. If you left click and release, you can form a polygon. Make direction changes with a left click, just like drawing an irregular polygon. Ending the polygon is just like ending any other. Good eyesight lets you end it by left clicking. Poor eyesight lets you end it with a right click. From then on, it is right click to select the group.

Of course, you can also select a group and then use the command line to move it to any coordinate position you want. That is what I do when I import a DXF and want it exactly on 0,0. I don't usually use it for anything else. Otherwise, I usually just go by the grid. You can also change the grid, then hold CTRL, and left click on the appropriate origin to align with any oddball grid. One exception is when I want a line or object to be exactly on a coordinate. Then, I use the properties icon, open the dialog, and set whatever coordinates I want.

The properties icon gets a lot of use from me.

Last edited:

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I was reading about some of the neat enhancements , such as multiple grid sets and decided to give v.9.xx a try. That was short lived once on the Autodesk site:

1583187935334.png
I am using version 5. I stopped updating when Autodesk wants money every year.
I am thinking about upgrading and paying every year but the "Fusion 360" thing confused me. Do you need to pay for that also?
----edited----
Fusion 360=$496/year

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
My understanding is that if you subscribe to Fusion 360, you become eligible for the resticted free version of Eagle. There is no longer a free version without it.

I have Eagle 7.2, .4, .5, .6, and .7 downloaded. I actually prefer 7.2. Version 7.4 added too many labels (like the names of tracks) for my liking. Those versions may still be available on the internet. They are definitely better than v.4x , but 4x probably does everything that is needed. Mine was a slightly enhanced version (educator), but basically I felt the cost for each version was going to a worthy cause. If you want one of those later versions without my license code, I suspect there is no law against sending it to you. Version 7.7 is about 58 MB. If there is some sort of legacy site, it would be better to download from that.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
Then probably there is the largest difference between West and semi-East (actually I am from most westerner west of the East being the same position as Gemany, only more to the North). If my better or less good known persons count is about 1000 in phone and about 5000 where I know at least something about the person (and them are the brighter folks not a criminals), I may guess no more than few having every single software unit being checked and re-checked strongly legal (how to do it practically if most of computers in the shopping malls already sells the cracked Windows?). About need to clean it speak may be quarter, yet somehow not do not a yotta. And other 3/4 says it very honestly - its a producer own fail to not use a Commons Creative Licencing, aka, cows exist for to be milked. The newest solution in fashion for public comps are mobile installations on usb stick. If any hatred licence checking officer is coming into the room, just pull the stick out, and pockets they have no rights to check without of court prescription. Then I would feel me bit shameful, I do never, its too obvious the guys KNOW it is bad thing they do. But HOME still is sacred place for anybody where only limited cases exist where court may give an order for coming in (pedophilia, murder, terrorism and no more much).

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
So is the world literally pressed to use illegal hacked copies being so easy available for Eagle.
No. And, your arrogance and naiveté are showing.

The P in IP stands for property. As long as no one is holding a gun to your head, a property owner is free to charge whatever they want for what they own, set the conditions of use, etc. And you are free to agree or not. That is commerce.

And, NO, this is not a case of bait-and-switch. Pay versions of Eagle have been around for a long time, as have been lower-performing, free demo versions. Deciding to remove one product from a catalog is a marketing and financial decision by the property ***owner***. No one is pressing anyone to do anything.

ak

ps. That is not the correct use of the word "literally".

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
Analog Kid - All that You tell is the basic reason why I never use Eagle and keep strongly to Linux.

PS "Literally", is an expression probably wrong translated from my mother-tongue. To happen sth "literally" (we use word "a character, letter from the letterset" means to happen very precise as written with no use of second or third meaning of word. I thought English uses this word the same manner. Sorry if I was wrong.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
over the years i tried Eagle few times - only to always look for alternatives so i cannot quite relate to those who do like it. i pay for my software or use open source where practical. but tend to frown upon software that needs subscription and continuous dependency. when i pay for something i want it to last for as long as i am willing to use it and take care of it. don't want some leash or "drug dealer". the good news is, there is pretty much anything for anybody nowadays. one does not need to resort to piracy.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
There still is a 'free' demo version for download today. You can still download the latest 'free' version and use it without paying a dime. It is included with a Fusion 360 for personal use subscription but as far as I can tell as of today you really don't need to install, use or pay for Fusion 360 to use Eagle if you use Linux.

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
I had to go back and check my 8TB external HD to make sure but I did save Eagle ver. 9.1.0 install on it.
Good thing I did. This comes as no surprise to me. Autodesk has always been stingy with their software.
I love AutoCad but it starts at about $1,600+ for single use and up to $3,000+ for multi user for AutoCad 2020.
My God, close to $500 for a years subscription of Fusion 360...Thanks but, No thanks.
Luckily I found a version of AutoCad Mechanical 2008 in a pawn shop type place years ago.
No subscription needed.
Don't think this will fly for too many years, People don't like to keep paying for something they've already paid for.
Brzrkr

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I have 7.6.0 saved off. Is there any big reason to try to find a later demo version with at least the same functionality? IOW, was 7.6.0 a mess for some reason?

ak