dvi-d pinout to make breakout cable

neuronetv

Joined Aug 25, 2017
This is the dvi socket on my motherboard:
http://198.91.92.112/dvi.jpg
I understand this to be a dvi-d connection. Is it possibel to make a breakout cable for this connector type? specifically dvi-d to RGB component ie: to connect this dvi socket to a video switcher whose inputs are R/RY, GY and BC BNC connectos. I haven't been able to find a pinout diagram for this which could mean it can't be done - I dont know. I can't even find a place that sells dvi plugs you can solder yourself. Thanks for any advice.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
DVI-D, as the name implies, contains only digital data - red, green, blue and clock. You won´t be able to get analog signals out of that without some specialized chip (if that is what you want).
You would need a board with DVI-A to get some analog signals, and even then I am not so sure that those would be what you require.

neuronetv

Joined Aug 25, 2017
thanks for clarifying this. I have a graphics card with a DVI-I connector (all pins present like the diagram from bertus). I'd like to make a breakout cable for that - dvi-i to 5 bnc female plugs. is that possible? and does anyone know where one can buy dvi connectors that you can solder yourself? I've searched on google and can't find anything. vga connectors are easy to find, dvi connectors are no-where.

neuronetv

Joined Aug 25, 2017
bertus thankyou yes, something like that, however $80 postage is too much for me and I wouldn't want a 10ft cable anyway.. Because the cable is going into a custom case I was hoping to make my own at the right size. I already have a vga-to-5-bnc breakout cable that works so I suppose what I could do is work out the pinout for a dvi-to-vga adaptor and from there be able to work out the dvi-5bnc pinout.
And then I've got to find someone that sells dvi plugs - so far no luck.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
...I suppose what I could do is work out the pinout for a dvi-to-vga adaptor and from there be able to work out the dvi-5bnc pinout.
And then I've got to find someone that sells dvi plugs - so far no luck.
Why not just get a DVI cable and add vga-bnc adaptor at the end? It will be easier to solder a few wires to a pcb than to add a connector on a piece of cable.