Dual booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Does anyone know how to dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu?

One option I saw was to use Grub 2 in Ubuntu but being a linux newbie I would rather do it with Windows. It used to be so easy with multiple Windows OSs. It was sort of automatic. I never tried it in the past with linux.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Hi, it is pretty easy in Linux too. I've done it a few times.

What I did was:
First I installed windows with all its drives and programs and got it working the way I wanted.
Then I inserted the Linux CD and booted the Linux OS. One of the option during the disk partitioning is dual boot. Linux took care of moving the windows files, to clean up/make space.

When installation was done and I booted the computer, it stopped in the GRUB menu, with a counter. When counter reached 0, it booted the highlighted OS.

One thing I remember is that I thought it was surprisingly easy.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Nothing in Linux is easy. :)

I did not see an option for installing duel l boot when installing Unbuntu. What I did do was to install Windows first. Then created a 130M partition for Grub I pick \boot as a mount point (just guessing), then a partition for Linux with \ as a mount point (just guessing) Then created a swap partition. Installed Unbuntu.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
When dualbooting Windows and Linux, I find it best to install Windows first.

EasyBCD? Never heard of it, but it sounds easy. I couldn't see any screenshots on their website.