Documenting a TRF Radio build

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Ordinary cheap AM radios do not pickup more than one station at the same time because they are designed properly with many LC tuned circuits. The TRF "radio" in this thread is completely different and was used 100 years ago when there was only 1 or 2 AM stations in town.

The article about a Digital AM radio does not detail its "enhancements". Isn't AM radio doomed and is barely used anymore?

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
probably correct the TRF radio build wide band differs from DRM; use of crystals, filters, front end handling and number of converters.

AM is being refitted and in some places like India DRM is popping up phenomenally and in parts of Europe.
Since HD audio roll out technology has been pushed in new cars and rental cars as a central bus for many gadgets.
SDR also contributed to the uptrend Digital and hybrid radio has increased significantly. there is a ton of digital radio planning criteria.

enhancement ref page 53 4.4.7 P1 and P3 4 channel https://worldbroadcastingunions.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/WBU-Radio-Guide-Ver-2019.pdf
Texas Instruments receiver module about $18 https://www.ti.com/lit/ml/sprt354/sprt354.pdf

Last edited:

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Here in Canada I had a free preview of the digital satellite radio in my car but I will not pay for a subscription.
The satellite sends me an email for free to tell me the tire air pressures are low and any other problems.

I have never seen a portable digital radio.
My stereo and clock radio play FM radio stations perfectly.
I will probably never use a digital AM radio even it it sounds good like FM.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Here in Canada I had a free preview of the digital satellite radio in my car but I will not pay for a subscription.
The satellite sends me an email for free to tell me the tire air pressures are low and any other problems.
That's a great example of technology for the sake of technology. It would have been much simpler to connect the tire pressure sensor to an idiot light on the dash. I hope I'm not around when it all comes crashing down like a pack of cards!
I believe in "KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID!" and I always will.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Getting the signal from inside the rotating tire might be a problem.

Bob
There is legislation that requires a TPMS system on all cars built after 2007 in the United States. Some have sensors built into the tires that communicate through a wireless system. Other types externally monitor the diameter of the tires to detect under inflation.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I was not aware there were non- wireless ones. In both mu cars they ate wireless and the radio init conveys the info to a a dash display.

Bob